2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Windows only roll down from driver's panel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011 | 06:34 PM
|
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Windows only roll down from driver's panel?

This is something I would love to get fixed, but I'm in "aw" as to what it could be or where to start!

All windows roll down, but only the drivers controls will do it (the door locks work as well). The passenger control LOCKS will work but it will not control its window. The rear is the same, they'll roll down if I (the driver) rolls em down but no control for any of the passengers. It gets kind of annoying when you have 3-4 people constantly asking you to roll up/down their window!

It's hard to imagine that ALL other 3 switches are bad and need to be replaced, my assumption is that the "window lock" is somehow stuck via the drivers controls. I guess my only option is to purchase a new driver control panel and see what happens? Or is there a way to test that that IS the issue?

I apologize for all of the threads and questions... but that IS what this site is for right? Please believe that I try to search a solution before asking on this amazing forum. I don't know if my search skills are just crap or if it's just not out there. I just want to get this truck to 100%!

Nonetheless, thanks for everyones help and a solution or test to fix this would be AMAZING. I'm tired of having to turn down my radio to hear my brother in the back seat yell "HEY CAN YOU ROLL DOWN MY WINDOW!?"

Old 09-09-2011 | 07:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

All of the controls feed back to the lockout switch (you did check that it was in the 'unlock' position right). If the lockout is in the 'unlock' position, then it may be a defective lockout switch.

Old 09-09-2011 | 09:26 PM
|
Starting Member

If your talking about the lock/unlock switch for the windows on the driver's panel then yes... it doesn't work in either position. I even unplugged it and still, nothing. I would think no lock switch connected at all would atleast free up the other windows controls. Or am I incorrect on this?

Old 09-09-2011 | 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

my lockout switch did the same thing.
what i did was take it out, take apart and clean contacts...good as new.
its not that hard, you will see when you take it off...pretty straight forward.

Old 09-09-2011 | 09:44 PM
|
Starting Member

Well I took it out... it seemed quite clean and no corrosion or anything? But I WILL try this and then if it doesn't fix the problem I'll just go to a junk yard and pull one. My whole thing is, wouldn't it allow the lock to well... not be locked if I unplugged it all together!? Wasn't the case when I did so...

Old 09-09-2011 | 09:56 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i think the way the switch operates, is that it interrupts current to the other switches...so disconnecting it brakes the circuit.
i actually took the contacts out of mine and sanded them a little, the switch itself is just a little "spring" that engages completing the circuit.

Old 09-09-2011 | 10:02 PM
|
Starting Member

I got you.... so disconnecting it would literally just be like hitting the lock button, considering all of the other switches are connected through it. The lock button (figuratively speaking) is doing nothing but, in a sense, disconnecting the entire switch.

I suppose I'll just clean/sand and disassemble the switch to make sure it's working correctly. The switch in itself is not of any use to me anyways, I may just look up the wiring diagram and bypass the damn thing all together. I'd obviously leave it there so their wouldn't be an inch wide hole in my console... but it would simply be for "looks" and absolutely useless! lol

Last edited by shotnva777; 09-09-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2011 | 07:42 PM
|
Starting Member

I did as you said and cleaned the internals of the switch, it works as it should now. Thanks for the tip! No more master control board! Lol