2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Windshield washer quit working

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Beginning Member
RobR is on a distinguished road
Default Windshield washer quit working

The other day I tried to wash the front windshield and nothing happened. It was working a couple of days before that. No sound but the wipers do their thing. I also tried the rear washer and nothing on that either.

Why would both the front and rear quit working at the same time? Is there a fuse that works the pump?

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

not to be a smart @$$, but is their fluid in the reservoir?

Heck, I drove around for almost a year with no windshield washers because I didn't realize the upper portion of the stalk rotated, in addition to the bottom.

If the fluid checks out, you could check voltage at the pump connector while somebody hits the button. There probably is a fuse, I can't remember off the top of my head.

edit: according to google, there is a 10A fuse labeled "w/w pump". Might be worth checking out. Looks like it's towards the bottom, near the horn relay.

Last edited by cleburne red; 04-23-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

yeah, make sure you have fluid. when it gets below half, the rear window wont be getting any fluid. if you have fluid, check the fuses, everything has a fuse on cars. if the fuse checks out, check to make sure that you have voltage at the pump plug. if you do, then the pump probably took a dump.
easy to fix, just get a new one, and pull the old one out. they just push in. no tools needed.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Horton is on a distinguished road

Another idea. (something I just fixed myself). I was fixing something similar today, my problem had been going on for a lot longer, but i'm a procrastinator so what sue me. My problem ended up being the hose itself. Running from the resivoir up to the front blades and running to the back. I ran my fingers along the hose until I found the problem. That black stock hose gets brittle and cracks after awhile(well mine was). It had cracked before it split and sent fluid to the back so both weren't functioning. I used some 1/4" polyurethane tubing to fix the problem. Cut the existing black hose to a nice flat cut and slipped the tubing over the broken existing hose and voila ! (use small clamps if need be to keep it tight) Same went for the back as well actually. When I did fix it and ran the fluid it popped a hose joint apart in the back ceiling panel where it comes across to hit the back window, same fix. Hopefully my rambling helps !

Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 AM
Beginning Member

Yes, there is plenty of fluid as I usually always run them full. I was thinking fuse because there is actually nothing going on pump wise. Just found it odd that both the front and rear wouldn't work at the same time.

I'll see if I can find that fuse. Thanks for all the ideas

Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Beginning Member

Just an update. Both pumps were bad. Hit up the junk yard and pulled a couple pumps, then swapped them in. Now they are both working fine. Just weird that they both quit working around the same time. Seems like my usual luck with this thing

Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Horton is on a distinguished road

Yea that is odd...that was my second problem I had after I fixed the tubing, both pumps had bad seals and needed to be replaced. Glad you got it fixed man !