2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:37 AM
hoots05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Windshield Wipers

so i have this problem with my 98 blazer. my windshield wipers only work when they want to which is of course only when it is not raining. I can hear the motor running when they are not working but it's like it's not catching on something?? i really kno nothing about vehicles, but i do kno come this winter im goin to want my windshield wipers to be working properly. anyone have any suggestions?? or has anyone had these problems before??

Old 11-29-2006, 02:20 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Windshield Wipers

I wonder if there is just a loose nut at the wiper motor that holds the wiper linkage to the motor?

Old 11-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's happened before. Pull off the little plug cover at the pivot for the wiper arms and have a look there. Hopefully the splines didn't strip out...

Old 11-30-2006, 03:47 PM
bdscholes71` is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had the same problem and so has a co-worker of mine on his S-10 pickup. It's like they know when it's raining or not. He cleaned the brushes on the wiper motor and it worked fine after that. Mine was a linkage problem. Both a pretty easy fix. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:29 PM
myronhntr80 is an unknown quantity at this point

That was my first thought also. The splines on the wiper motor may be stripped. It sound possible especially because you are hearing the motor when the wipers arn't working.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:50 AM
ErnsterO is an unknown quantity at this point

I had , still have the recurring problem and what i do to fix it, which is annoying is I leave the car running and up on the firewall near the top driver side I isolated the humming sound. I looke to be some kind of fuse or switch which controls the wipers, never-the-lessI just give it a little bump and they begin to work again. I think it has to be a short or maybe a bad conection and it only becomes a problem when there is more humidity in the air because otherwise they work all of the time except of course when it raining. Hopethis helps and please be carefullI know this works for me but it is scary to bump something that is humming when your completly soaked because its raining hard and you have to pull over because you wipers just went out while on the freeway doing 70mph.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:16 PM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

since we are all talkin about wipers. every once in a while i will turn my wipers on and it will go to the continuous low speed. I switch it to off, it stays on low speed. I can turn it to high and it goes to high, but when I turn it to any other, it stays on low. If I kill it, it goes back to normal, most of the time. this only happens like once a month, but when it happens, it kinda bugs me. is the switch the problem?

Old 12-31-2006, 05:28 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 1996BZR

since we are all talkin about wipers. every once in a while i will turn my wipers on and it will go to the continuous low speed. I switch it to off, it stays on low speed. I can turn it to high and it goes to high, but when I turn it to any other, it stays on low. If I kill it, it goes back to normal, most of the time. this only happens like once a month, but when it happens, it kinda bugs me. is the switch the problem?
No, it's the wiper pulse module on the front of the motor. check with your local dealer...they'll have it in stock and it's not very expensive....it is very simple to change too.

As for the original post...if you hear the motor, look down through the cowl at the base of the windshield and see if you can see the wiper transmission (linkage) moving...if it is, then you just need to tighten the nuts that hold the wiper arms on or there is a piece of the trans loose or broken. BUT, these have alot of problems with the wiper pulse modules...they have a poor solder job on them do a search and I'm sure you'll find somethin'

Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Moretorque05 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe

ORIGINAL: 1996BZR

No, it's the wiper pulse module on the front of the motor. check with your local dealer...they'll have it in stock and it's not very expensive....it is very simple to change too.

As for the original post...if you hear the motor, look down through the cowl at the base of the windshield and see if you can see the wiper transmission (linkage) moving...if it is, then you just need to tighten the nuts that hold the wiper arms on or there is a piece of the trans loose or broken. BUT, these have alot of problems with the wiper pulse modules...they have a poor solder job on them do a search and I'm sure you'll find somethin'
Do you have a diagram of where the pulse module is located? I need to replace mine as well.

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my post on how to fix it yourself if you have some time and a soldering pencil or gun:
Fix for cold solders in the Wiper Motor

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers