2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wipers Messed up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 07:35 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about
Default Wipers Messed up?

Ok heres the story. When i first got my blazer the dealership told us that the right side wiper motor had been replaced before and it is fine now. Well the other day when it was raining out i was driving down the road and went to do just the one wipe thing where u pull back on the **** to have them do a single sweep and nothing happened........ I thought ok maybe i didnt pull it back all the way so i tried againa nd still nothing. Then i pushed it int he sutomatic positions and still not a thing. I took it to the top speed and it started to work i was like. sweet! well i pulled it back to slow them down and the wiper stopped right in the middle of my windshield! So i had to try and turn it on high and then pull it into the low to stop it down at the bottom where it should be. Has anyone ahd this problem or know of any ideas as to wut could be casuing the problem? It works sometimes but not all the time. Like i CAN have it work on the low speeds but then it just stops working after a few swipes! PLEASE HELP!

Old 03-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Wipers Messed up?

Well, considering there is only 1 wiper motor, them telling you that they replaced the right side wiper motor is complete BS.

Anyway, the most common problem with GM wiper motors found in their truck/suv is the solders on the circuit board. You should be able to pull the front plastic cover off of the wiper motor and then unscrew the circuit board. Once out, you'll have to just melt the solder that is there. The problem is that the pins that run from the wire connector (from the wiring harness) to the circuit board are often cold solders where the solder didn't flow and bond properly to the contacts on the board. Reflow the solder on each pin and I am fairly confident that you'll fix the problem.

Now, this may not be the problem with your wiper motor, but it is a quick, easy, and cheap thing to try first. In my experience, this has been the entire problem with symptoms almost identical to what you have described, but some have gotten progressively worse after months of inattention.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran

where is the motor located at? is it in the dash in the back or under the hood?

Old 03-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Under the hood. Let me see if I can find a good pic for you...

*EDIT* - Here ya go. It's right next to the brake master cylinder on the firewall. See included pic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/667/CAA15DCF92674F56AC5DE9F783BBCCD9.jpg[/IMG]

Without going out and looking on mine, I believe there is a single screw holding on the black plastic cover. Once that is off, there may be other screws holding the circuit board in. Unplug the connector, pull off the black cover, then whatever is necessary to pull off the circuit board. Resolder the pin connections and reinstall.

Give it a try. If you already have a soldering iron or pencil (soldering pencil works slick for this repair), then it'll be free to do. If it works, let us know!

Old 03-12-2006, 09:59 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks for the help I'm gonna try to get this done within this week. Supposed to be like 80 somethin tomorrow so ima try to get it done b4 the next rain. once again thank you so much. u might have saved my life lol!