2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wiring for Towing

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:14 PM
dambriz81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wiring for Towing

I just bought my 02 Blazer 4wd a little over a month ago and got a light up tow hitch cover. I went to put it in and looked at the existing wiring that was there and the white tag is there but I can't read what the colors are or what they stand for. Can anybody please help me to identify which wires I need to use to hook up a light or in the future to tow a trailer? Thank you.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Wiring for Towing

Should be detailed out in your owners manual.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:15 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

dark green=right hand stop/turn lamps

yellow=left hand stop/turn lamps

brown=tail lamps

black=chassis ground

light green=back-up lamps

Old 11-02-2006, 01:53 PM
dambriz81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you guys! I got an aftermarker owners manual that came with the car, so it wasn't too detailed.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. Never heard of an aftermarket owners manual... You could always sign up at MyGMLink.com and download a copy of your factory owners manual...

Trailer Wiring Harness
The light-duty trailer wiring is a six-wire harness assembly. The optional heavy-duty trailer wiring is an eight-wire harness assembly. The harnesses are stored under the vehicle, along the passenger-side frame crossmember on two-door vehicles or on the driver's side corner frame rear crossmember on four-door vehicles. The heavy-duty trailer wiring is fused in the engine compartment fuse block. See Fuses and Circuit Breakers on page 5-88. Both harnesses have no connector and should be wired by a qualified electrical technician. The technician can use the following color code chart when connecting the wiring harness to your trailer.
  • Dark Blue: Use for electric trailer brakes or auxiliary wiring (eight-wire harness only).
  • Red: Use for battery charging; it connects to the starter solenoid (eight-wire harness only).
  • Light Green: Back-up lamps.
  • Brown: Taillamps and parking lamps.
  • Yellow: Left stoplamp and turn signal.
  • Dark Green: Right stoplamp and turn signal.
  • White: Ground wire.
  • Light Blue: Auxiliary stoplamp.

Securely attach the harness to the trailer, then tape or strap it to your vehicle's frame rail. Be sure you leave it loose enough so the wiring doesn't bend or break, but not so loose that it drags on the ground. Store the harness in its original place. Wrap the harness together and tie it neatly so it won't be damaged.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:53 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I went to a hitch shop and bought an adapter. I just unplugged the connector to the rear lights and plugged the female end into one side of trailer adapter and the male end into the other side. Took 5 minutes, cost $20.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 PM
dmc6069 is an unknown quantity at this point

I need some help, I have a 02 Blazer and need to hook up the wires for towing, but I need atrailer brake hook up. Is it on the car stock or do I need to do something elce.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Administrator

If you have the heavy duty harness at the back, this should include wiring up at the fuse box under the hood to connect for the +12V aux wire at the back as well as wiring under the dash to connect to the brake controller of your choosing.

In the future, please create a new thread and link to old threads containing pertinent information. Digging up threads that are 2+ years old is to be avoided. Thanks!

Old 06-23-2009, 04:17 PM
brian400ex is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Chevy Lover
I went to a hitch shop and bought an adapter. I just unplugged the connector to the rear lights and plugged the female end into one side of trailer adapter and the male end into the other side. Took 5 minutes, cost $20.

Where is the connecctor to the rear lights?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by brian400ex
Where is the connecctor to the rear lights?
See the quote in one of my responses above. Cleaned up the formatting to make it easier to read.