2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wont start not cranking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 06:50 PM
bartman37 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Wont start not cranking?

Ok here goes... I have a 2000 S10 Blazer 4WD 2 door that I just put back together it was down to a short block and has not been running since 2013. Well I put it back together and put a fuel pump in it and bam it ran perfect until I was messing with the remote and now it wont crank? I first went to the fuse box and jumpered the starter and it will crank and will fire up for a couple of seconds then die. Then I went to the wires at the switch and spliced in the yellow wire to the orange (cut the yellow of course) and did the 30 min or so key switch relearn but still all I get are the lights on the dash and of course almost everything goes blank when I hit the start position...? I am at a loss for figuring this one out so please help. thanks

Please note it does not spin over at all? HELP...!

Old 10-23-2019, 11:53 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

It sounds like you believe that you have a passlock issue. A few resources:

https://repairpal.com/gm-passlock-security-light-issues

https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.co...set-procedure/

George

Old 10-24-2019, 06:03 PM

Thanks George but I have tried to reset the system 4 times as of now and still it will not crank? I went through the simple procedure of turning the ignition switch to the start position then letting the truck sit for 10-11 min. then off and back to the run position twice more then off and back to try to start but still nothing? I am at a loss for what to do? I just had it running very smoothly and shut it off and was messing with the key fob and bam it would not do anything. The battery is hot and connections are clean and good and like I said I can leave the key on and jumper the starter relay and it will fire up for a couple of seconds then die and just spin over? I have a friend that will be getting a very nice trouble shooting box in the next week or so? I have tried to check for codes but it has none (I have a nice OB2 scanner).

Anything else that you or anyone else can tell me then please do.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:47 PM
BF Veteran

If your friend has a scanner that can read GM codes, this might help:

https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.co...trouble-codes/

Can you explain “messing with the key fob”?

George

Old 10-26-2019, 08:19 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

bartman37: factory remote or aftermarket alarm remote? If aftermarket you might have triggered the alarm ignition interrupt relay.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:40 PM

That is a thought Lannyl81... It did have an aftermarket alarm on it. I pulled some of the wiring out from under the dash and if memory serves I think it right before the situation it has now? Where would it have been hooked into under the dash? Anyone know what I should look for?

Now please note that even with the key in the run position I have jumped the start solenoid relay and it will fire for a couple of seconds then die (no fuel I think). So I still think its in the computer system? Thoughts...?

Old 10-27-2019, 01:31 PM
BF Veteran

Good call Lanny. That certainly changes things.

so the problem started when you were “messing with the key Fob” or moving the wiring around under the dash?

can you get a model number off of that aftermarket alarm system so I can look at the wiring and features?

does the alarm wiring just attach itself to the truck wiring or does it interrupt/insert itself into any of the truck wiring? What are the colors of the truck wiring that the aftermarket system attaches itself too?

Does it always crank even if it won’t start?

Does it always run for a few seconds after it cranks?

Besides getting a model number for the alarm system so I can determine what vehicle circuits this system hooks into and possibly interrupts, we should verify if you have fuel pressure and ignition at the time that the truck dies after it starts.

Do you have a fuel system pressure tester or digital multimeter?

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 10-27-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:13 AM

George... Thank you for asking about this. I will be going over to my shop and get the info you are requesting about the alarm system (have to dig it out of the garbage but no biggie). Now in answer to your other questions no it will not crank no matter what other than if I jumper the relay in the under hood fuse panel. And yes it will crank for a couple of seconds then die and just crank over. But in answer to do I have a fuel pressure tester no I do not. But yes I have a very nice multimeter. Also I have scanned the system with my OBD2 scanner and it has no codes but of course I have disconnected the battery recently so have cleared any codes that may have been there?

Old 10-28-2019, 11:50 AM
BF Veteran

When you removed the aftermarket alarm were the wires just tapped in to the vehicles wiring or were any of the vehicle wires cut and interrupted by
the alarm box or any separate relays?

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 10-28-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:11 PM
BF Veteran

Also, when you say that you can get the starter to turn over by a jumper at the start relay, are you jumpering the power feed across the relay contacts or are you energizing the relay coil so that the relay will engage and pass power to the starter?

George

Quick Reply: Wont start not cranking?