2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

xtremely frustrated!! Diagnose Chevy doc!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: xtremely frustrated!! Diagnose Chevy doc!

Most definitely can be a fuel filter problem.

It also could be a fuel pump supply voltage problem. If the fuel pump isn't getting the voltage supply that it requires, it may be sluggish to react to demand.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:13 PM
01extreme is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill look into that, but how easy is it to drop the tank and check the connections? Its wierd, when the truck is running normal the heater is fine, but when it is lacking power the heater is just blowing normal temp air. Hmmm, anything on that situation?

Old 01-21-2007, 06:42 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Could be that the truck isn't burning enough fuel to heat up a large amount... Try changing the fuel filter if it hasn't been done, then if that doesn't help... you're going to have to check the fuel pump.

But first, the fuel filter, that's usually the cause of hesitation when ya stomp on the pedal...

Old 01-22-2007, 02:23 PM

Sounds like a plan, I was at the drive though today and I noticed a humming noise, sounded like an airplane. Anyways, it never turned off, just kept humming..It sounded pretty neat, but odd.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Icarus76 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with my truck before. Ended up going through all the tune up ~motions~. The problem ended up being an out of toleranceMAF, and a failing fuel pump...but didn't get a code forthe MAFuntil it got "bad enough".

Changing the MAF got me back to about 75% health...the fuel pump got me the rest of the way.

Icarus

Old 01-23-2007, 03:13 PM

Ok, so friday I am getting the radiator flushed and the heater core flushed, then getting the thermostat and fuel filter changed. I will see if that fixes the problem, but I doubt it since I hear the humming\whinning noise the whole time. Unfortunantly, it might be the pump. Fingers crossed..

Old 01-23-2007, 09:15 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

The humming/whirring noise is the fuel pump working. For your '01 extreme your pressure should be closer to 60psi at the "shrader valve". I have seen a thread here where someone put the fuel pressure gauge on the valve and had it in plain site after closing the hood and took a drive and found out that the pump would occassionally drop under the minimum needed for the truck...when they replaced the pump the problem went away...

Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Chevyguy032 is an unknown quantity at this point

Id say check the CAT im goin through the same issue now...either the 02 sensor or CAT im guessin

Old 01-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Rammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have an oiled,aftermarket airfilter? Over-oiling will cause havac with the maf sensor, which in turn will affect the transmission line pressure.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:04 PM

nope, brand new O2 sensor, and high flow cat with exhaust, and I thought that the fuel pump went off after a few seconds?? Mine stays on the whole time.

Quick Reply: xtremely frustrated!! Diagnose Chevy doc!