2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ZR2 Die's while driving.. Electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Beginning Member
five04ever is on a distinguished road
Default ZR2 Die's while driving.. Electrical?

Not even sure how to search the forum on this issue, but I think it's more of an electrical issue??...

99 ZR2 - Was driving to work last week and my truck just went dead. Lost all electrical, like if the alternator stopped working. The battery seemed to be dead too, because a jump wouldn't even get the battery charged enough to turn the motor... I started to check for lose wires and when I got to the coil I unplugged/plugged it back in and it started up like it never happened. Was able to get to work and drive back home with no problem. Then the next day it did the exact same thing, but messing with the coil this time didn't do the trick and the battery was dead, so kept checking for more lose wires, but no luck.

My brother-in-law had the same problem with his 2000 blazer, and he said he fixed his by tapping on the MAF sensor, and apparently it started up, and ran fine for a few days and now his truck in dead too... Same simptoms, just dies it route.

I suspected the alternator, but after the truck sat in my driveway a few days the battery was nice and strong to start it with no issues and disconnecting the pos cable from it didn't kill the engine, so again I'm stuck.

Any help finding the issue is appreciated. I can check things if anyone has ideas as to what can be causing this.

Thanks

Old 06-11-2011, 07:30 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

ignition switch? when it stalled did you loose your dash lights too? also the radio would turn off well sometimes

Old 06-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member
blazerblack is on a distinguished road

Check the connections on your battery, if those look fine then check your grounds. Check for fuzzy corrosion or excessive rust, and make sure they are tight.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

does this only happen when it gets warm outside? if it does read through this thread and see if this persons symptoms mach yours. https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...en-warm-58474/

Old 06-11-2011, 08:59 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Please dont pull a battery cable when the truck is running to test the alternator. it spikes the alternator and the computer. Use a meter to see if its charging.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Beginning Member

ignition switch? when it stalled did you loose your dash lights too? also the radio would turn off well sometimes
Yep! Lost everything, dash, radio, etc. There's a little aluminum heat sink block 'ignition control module'?, with a plug in it that's just in front of the coil that I also messed with just before it started back up. If the ignition switch, or module would cause the complete shutdown then maybe that could be suspect.. I never had to change that before??

Check the connections on your battery, if those look fine then check your grounds. Check for fuzzy corrosion or excessive rust, and make sure they are tight.
The battery is clean, and the connections are good. I will check the grounds. I think there was a ground strap on the pass side frame below the battery area.

does this only happen when it gets warm outside? if it does read through this thread and see if this persons symptoms mach yours.

No.. It just recently started, and I live around Chicago where the weather has been kind of mild. I just read the link you posted. Slipped my mind, but I do remember it spitting a little, kinda like it wanted to die, but kept running. I have a record showing that I changed the fuel pump 10/2009 with a Delphi FG0072. I'll stick my fuel gauge on it in the AM and see what happens. Just thought that if I lost total electrical power to the truck, it wouldn't be a fuel pressure issue, but will still check it out.

Please dont pull a battery cable when the truck is running to test the alternator. it spikes the alternator and the computer. Use a meter to see if its charging.
Good Tip! Thanks! Was afraid of it breaking down again if I took it to auto-zone for them to check it. Bad habit.

Last edited by five04ever; 06-11-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:11 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Fuel pump or ignition module will not cause the issues you are having.

Continue looking at the ignition switch. I dont believe any one ground could totally kill the truck the way you describe, but the ignition switch can.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by kristoph30
Fuel pump or ignition module will not cause the issues you are having.

Continue looking at the ignition switch. I dont believe any one ground could totally kill the truck the way you describe, but the ignition switch can.
No bleed off on the fuel pressure gauge, and cleaned the ground connections on the frame, etc., that I can see. I also seen that my starter wires could use a cleaning. Doing that today, so I don't 'start' having a problem with it. Don't know what's needed to check the ignition switch, so if there's a simple way to check it, please let me know as I dig further.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by five04ever
No bleed off on the fuel pressure gauge, and cleaned the ground connections on the frame, etc., that I can see. I also seen that my starter wires could use a cleaning. Doing that today, so I don't 'start' having a problem with it. Don't know what's needed to check the ignition switch, so if there's a simple way to check it, please let me know as I dig further.
take the bottom of the steering collum apart and start the truck . play with those thick wires and see if the truck shuts off. If you dont got any power in your dash play with those wires and see if you get power again. Most of the time the pink wire goes.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Beginning Member

Weird!?!?! I drove the truck for about 2 hours straight today, turned it off, and it started right back up with no issues at all. I went back home and decided to clean the inside of the truck. While I left the doors, and tail gate open. I finished cleaning and tried to start it, but the battery didn't have enough juice to start the truck, so for reason the battery isn't charging.. It even knocked out the radio sound, and clock. I'm going get an ACDelco Ignition switch and change asap, as well as get a DieHard battery.

Thanks for all the input. I'll post back when I get the above done. Think it's time to get a new vehicle.

PS. I found a few posts on changing the ignition switch, and that others seem to have had the same symptoms I am having, so I think I'm on the right track.

Quick Reply: ZR2 Die's while driving.. Electrical?