Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How-to: Homemade posi-lock cable system - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010 | 07:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jfarcticman98
i know this thread is old, but i got a 98 jimmy that has the electric push button 4wd and it doesnt work it sounds like the motor wont engage or sumthing will this posi-lock system still work to engage my 4wd or what im just curious before i go buy anything
You really should ask your question in a new post in the appropriate tech section to determine the true cause of your issue. This thread is for the discussion of the how-to article.

I will say that this isn't the fix for all 4wd problems. It does nothing to the engagement of the transfer case. It only deals with the engagement of the front axle.

Originally Posted by jdespain
I have not had any problem so far with mine, but I am the type that can't leave well enough alone. I feel that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I am glad that I read this post and am thankful that such a well put together and informative description was given. It will be a little while, but I will definately be making this exact upgrade to my Blazer in the future! THANKS!
Depends on what you have for a transfer case now. I would not attempt this on the 4-button NV236 transfer case. Only on the NV233(NP233) and earlier NP231/NP207 transfer cases.

Old 02-28-2010 | 10:36 AM
jfarcticman98 is on a distinguished road

aight sorry bout that and i did make a new thread after this in the tech section but no one answered me....

Old 02-28-2010 | 02:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be patient.

Old 07-23-2010 | 10:04 PM
jonlevesque is on a distinguished road

thats an awesome idea, i figured i would be paying out the a** for a posi lock system, thanks alot.

Old 12-11-2010 | 12:11 AM
Starting Member
fatmaninalittlecoat is on a distinguished road

Great post, One of the many great ideas i have gleaned from the forum as a serious lurker now a member, joined tonight after seeing all your hard work on this post, thanks for the detailed info.

Old 01-20-2011 | 04:42 PM
Starting Member
ronnieron is on a distinguished road
Default homemade cable system

i used your advise and went to napa and got the cable
just got done with the install not as bad as i thought it would be
dont have to relie on a vacuem system any more

Old 01-31-2011 | 04:44 PM
Starting Member
farrier1 is on a distinguished road

This is nice idea,any on changeing my 94 s10 electric switch 4x4 to manual floor shift.

Old 01-31-2011 | 06:42 PM
Beginning Member
G_Doughty is on a distinguished road

Great idea. What would someone expect to pay for posi from a shop? vw gti used cars beaverton

Last edited by G_Doughty; 04-13-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo: someome = someone
Old 01-31-2011 | 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by G_Doughty
Great idea. What would someome expect to pay for posi from a shop?
The actual Posi-Lok that's designed for these trucks has a ~$200 MSRP. I imagine a shop would charge an hour or two of labor on top of that.

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-s.html

Last edited by mdehoogh; 02-01-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2011 | 11:11 AM
Beginning Member
G_Doughty is on a distinguished road

That is actually reasonable.

Quick Reply: How-to: Homemade posi-lock cable system - DISCUSSION THREAD