Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How-to: Homemade posi-lock cable system - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019 | 05:36 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jrm000kc
I got the same cable from NAPA, and routed through the cable plug on the passenger firewall by drilling a small hole above that's still tight enough to seal out moisture. The different mounting I did was to come up in front of the coil cover airbox, right behind the overflow reservoir and into the passenger fender. I then kept the bracket original in the same place and used two cable clamps to hold the cable in place routing it through one of the holes for the actuator mounting bolts. I then sacrificed the actuator by taking it apart leaving me only the slotted cylinder that locks onto the bullet shaped diff cable. I then bent the NAPA cable into a three bend 'key' shape and fitted the top of the 'key' shape into the slot where the lock spring locks in the 'bullet' shape cable end fitting and secured it with a pipe clamp. That way if you ever want to sell or whatever you can easily put it back OE and let the buyer enjoy the nightmare this awful vacuum system has been for me. The only problem I'm trying to figure out is finding a metal brace to screw into for the handle as the entire column area appears to be plastic. Thanks for the photos and article-I spent around $35 for everything as opposed to the posilock system that's about the same thing for triple the price! Dodge and Jeep versions send the cable directly to the differential with an aluminum casting cover-while Chevy posilock is tying two cables together without an aluminum cast diff cover but charging the same price! Glad I stopped the order when the $27 freaking shipping charge appeared!
Do you have any pictures, jrm000kc? I'm curious on how you did it. Sounds simple enough.

Old 12-05-2019 | 09:52 AM
jrm000kc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
Do you have any pictures, jrm000kc? I'm curious on how you did it. Sounds simple enough.
Give me some time-I'll try and get those pics perhaps today.

Old 11-18-2021 | 08:31 AM
Starting Member
VoyagerXll is on a distinguished road

I realize this is an old thread and I am a new member so wondering why I can not see the pictures? perhaps because I need a few post prior to seeing

Old 11-18-2021 | 10:23 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by VoyagerXll
I realize this is an old thread and I am a new member so wondering why I can not see the pictures? perhaps because I need a few post prior to seeing
Many of the pictures were hosted on photobucket because they offered free hosting and unlimited linking of pictures to other sites, but then they went to a paid model which broke almost all the links. Most people haven't gone back through and reposted their pictures.

Old 11-18-2021 | 03:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is a symptom of images posted on a personal website that failed to be maintained. If someone could recreate the photos of the steps (within reason) while performing the tasks as described, this article could be updated. Aside from that, I did attempt to get the pictures through the wayback machine (internet website archival tool), but was unsuccessful. All of the archived copies of the OP's site are missing these pictures.

Old 11-18-2021 | 07:34 PM
Starting Member

yes, I realize that this is an old thread, but it is just what I was looking for Thanks to the person that started the Thread. Only issue I have with the write up and not really with the write up but more not being able to see any supporting pictures.
THanks for the thread
Stan from NEbraska

Old 11-18-2021 | 09:35 PM
Starting Member

too bad about loosing the pics