Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

Installing a reel-out underhood light

Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Starting Member
RetroBlazer will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Installing a reel-out underhood light

Another Retro-Mod from RetroBlazer.

Difficulty: 1/10 (very easy)

Having trouble at night and you forgot to put batteries in your flashlight or forgot it entirely? Well, here's an option for you. This will reach all the way to the back of your truck and give you ample lighting to get you going again...(provided your battery isn't dead.)

You will need for this:

-Underhood light - I got mine from my 1992 Olds Cutlass convertible. A lot of GMs from 1988-1998 got these and installing them is pretty much the same. Make sure go grab a length of the wiring harness as well, I cut it at where it comes out of the main harness giving me plenty of wire to work with.
-Phillips screwdriver
-various nut drivers
-drill
-small bit
-wire strippers
-shrinkwrap or electrical tape

First remove the old light. On my 1991 S10, it was 1 phillips for the ground, a 7mm on the firewall for another ground (both black wires), a 5/16ths screw that held the light on the hood brace and the main orange wire for power.

Now test fit the new lamp making sure to install it the correct side up! If it installed upside down, it will not work as there is a mercury switch inside the lamp that trips the light on when you open the hood.

What I did was install the bottom screw into the new lamp so I could mark the hood bracing for another screw to hold the top of the lamp on. I screwed this in so I could mark the hood bracing for the hole. Peel back the insulation a little so you can see where to mark for a small hole for the second screw. BE CAREFUL not to drill too far or you'll end up going through the outside of the hood!

Here it is installed the correct way.

Now wire it up. Easy enough. Orange to orange, black to black. And then route them where they won't kink or get caught in the wiper motor.

And let there be light! Close your hood to make sure it goes off when the hood is shut. You can also reel it out just to make sure it comes out all the way and not bound up for some reason. It has a small magnet on it to hold it where you need it!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

my fullsize 90 has one of those on the fender. pretty cool, thankfully i havent needed to use it yet. but good to be prepaired