Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Jerked this today for $50.

Anyone have pics of the inside mounting job on a tailgate style???

Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

I'm wondering how many people have functional wipers still after this mod? I thought my wiper was going to hit the spare tire rack because there is maybe an inch in between, but no. My wiper barely clears the rack. Yay! lol.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

wiper tucks in real neat, and works just fine, i finished mine a week ago,
ill have pics soon

Old 10-10-2011, 09:40 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

man i never liked the rear tire rack but after a few years of having it i started to like them

Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

My rear wiper works fine too

Originally Posted by BlaziNator
Jerked this today for $50.

Anyone have pics of the inside mounting job on a tailgate style???
For some reason, I didn't get any good shots of the bolts in my tailgate. I could only bolt down 5 of the 6 bolts because something inside (I think it was the pivot that connects the handle to the latches on the sides) was right where the 6th should have been. The striker plate was easier to install, in my opinion, than the main carrier that bolts to the corner.

On all the bolts for the tire carrier and plate, I just went through the outer-most body panel. I had to cut/expand some access holes on the passenger side to get to the bolts around the taillight and I had to drill a hole or two on the inner panel of the tailgate in order to get the nut/washers/wrench through.

Good luck! (btw, I removed your WTB thread)

Old 10-10-2011, 10:41 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I just got this done last week, and here's a few pictures. I have a tailgate style blazer. Hopefully they help anyone trying to do this. Especially if you're mounting directly against the skin of the truck, you should use the extra wide fender washers. They are twice as wide, and thinner so they will flex to the shape of the truck without denting through the skin. I used a fender washer, followed by a regular washer, and then a lock washer.
Here's one of the bottom bolts. I drilled an access hole with a bi-metal hole saw. The other bottom bolt I accessed through the existing hole.

Here you can see the top 4 bolts. I used 2.5" bolts, and then cut them off because they interfered with the the other panels or lock mechanisms.

This is what I did to get the front upper and lower bolts for the carrier. Again I used a bi-metal hole saw to make an access hole to get to the bolts, and I used fender washers against the skin of the truck.
Lower:

Upper:

Last edited by El_Beautor; 01-26-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

A hole saw, now that's usin' your noodle.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 PM

Excellent info...Thanks so much El_Beautor. Exactly what I needed, and even in the right color. I've mocked mine up and it seems the striker plate I got is a bit bent due to a bump in it's past life. It doesn't perfectly conform to the tailgate...I'm thinking a good tightening job on the bolts should straighten her out. I guess I should have noticed this:

Definitely a bump.

Here's where I stopped for now:

Last edited by BlaziNator; 10-10-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:10 AM

2 whacks with a 9 lb mini sledge leaning against a curb and hey-presto! good as...well it's good enough. lol

Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

lookin good...

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD