Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

I put mine on a couple days ago and it looks great!! I just need to get to my other house and get the data cable for my phone to upload the pictures.

But to make it easier to get to the bolts on the inside, instead of chopping everything up i just took a 1 3/4" hole saw and cut holes on the inside where the 4 bolts that didnt go through two body panels came in at. made it perfect for a socket and some extensions to get in there (wish i took pictures)

The only bolt that didnt really get tightened was the lower middle one, i couldnt get a socket on that damn thing without really cutting away at the inner body panels so its just finger tight. Ohh well.

But for the brackets i got a piece of rubber sheet and cut out the shape of the brackets (including the tail gate one) and put the rubber in between the bracket and the body panel. Now i have to go back and put a bead of 3M sealant around all the brackets so no water gets in.

Then for the spare tire cover i think i want to paint a big red bow tie on the back with my color match paint. Hmm might look good?

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 03-25-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:34 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

i think the big red bowtie would look great. I'm pretty sure I either used a deep well socket and some extensions or a small pair of vice grips to tighten the middle bolt. there is only that little square opening its quite a pain...

Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Beginning Member
Blazin4x4trailz is on a distinguished road

Nice I just got one for my 1991 4door blazer today. After stripping it im pretty confident I can do it. I just want to powder coat it first. Not sure spray can will reallt be the best option. Maybe a bedliner spray might work I have a few cans of that. Ill post pics befor and after. Thanks for posting yours.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 AM
420Blazin4X4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
have you tried shooting it with pb...guessing yes.
when i first bought mine it was the same on the upper...i soaked it for a week and then used a big hammer on it and slowly got it moving...now its perfect.

on a side note you are actually close to me...didnt realize there was another saginaw member on here..
I did spray it on for a few days but ran out of it ..Just got another can yesterday so sprayed it down good last night... as soon as I can free it up I have the usual few rust spots to sand down then I`m gonna bed liner it and try to mount that thing...

Yeah if your in Bay City you are not to far away from me..

Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 97Beater4WD
So..going back to this....

have we confirmed it is a T55 and T15 socket needed to get the carrier off of a parts truck? I found one for $40 and am going to get it this weekend and DON'T want to bring the wrong tools
Any luck? I didn't see this post until just now. I'm sure that the bolts from my carrier were T50 and T30 but that other guy said 15 and 55. It's possible that GM changed over the years or previous owners removed/reinstalled with different bolts. In case you haven't yet gotten it, I've seen torx bits and sockets for under $5 at places like sears, napa, autozone. You could just buy all 4 and then return what you don't use.

Can anyone else that's recently removed one confirm what size bolts they are?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:14 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I doubt the bolts on the 1st gens are the same as 2nd or i would =(

Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Starting Member
97Beater4WD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
Any luck? I didn't see this post until just now. I'm sure that the bolts from my carrier were T50 and T30 but that other guy said 15 and 55. It's possible that GM changed over the years or previous owners removed/reinstalled with different bolts. In case you haven't yet gotten it, I've seen torx bits and sockets for under $5 at places like sears, napa, autozone. You could just buy all 4 and then return what you don't use.

Can anyone else that's recently removed one confirm what size bolts they are?
Yeah I didn't go because no one answer the question.... But I guess now I'll just buy a set and throw em the tool box...

Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Old 03-27-2012, 12:34 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

those good year duratracs look so nice !!! (drooolz)

Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 AM

Thanks!

I just wish i could figure out why Photobucket wont post my resized pictures and only posts the full size version

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD