Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

Walkthru NV-136/236 Transfer Case Encoder motor change

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road
Post Walkthru NV-136/236 Transfer Case Encoder motor change

Hoping for my first entry into the how to section
How to change a encoder motor for a NV-136/236 Transfer Case

So Here is my first shot at real how to write up, So please ladies and gents dont be to hard on me for my grammer and what not, At the end of the day i just wanna be helpful and contribute to a forum that has came thru in the clutch many times" for me & Extra thanks to swart what a Great guy he really is" So to prepare you all with the 98+ AWD system what to expect if you need to change your transfer case encoder motor .

TOOLS THAT WILL BE NEEDED
I Got a New Encoder motor, But im sure a reman will do you just fine
Safety goggles, yes i ear them at all time you should to you only get 2 eyes and you gotta save them
13MM DEEP WELL SOCKET
13MM SHORTY SOCKET, BUT IN A 12 POINT has to be a 12Point
1/4 OR 3/8 RATCHET WHATEVER YOU PREFER
11mm Socket
Nice stable Jack, And some wheel chalks or bricks whatever you got
PB Blaster just no substitute at all for the real deal
Propane Torch At the very least but the hotter the better if you got it
Some patience and maybe a beer or a cigeratte
Small Pry Bar
Medium Size Flat Head
Brake parts cleaner "love this stuff" really is a great all around grease killer
Assembly lube or Anti-seize whatever you got or prefer

On to the work portion of this process im gonna go step by step Just how i did from start to finish and you should end up with the same results i did,

1. Jacked up the truck from the rear end and got it nice and high, Then i chalked the wheels for safety sake.

2. Unplug the old encoder motor plug, Then unclip it from the skid plate and move it out of the way for now.

3.Then get your 13mm deep well socket and ratchet of choice break loose the 3 bolts holding on the skid plate, Remove the skid plate and set them and the plate off in a safe place.

4. Move up to your front axle, Take your 11mm socket and try to break the bolts loose on your front drive shaft axle straps, If there anything like mine this is where the propane torch comes into play, Fire that boy up and heat each of the 11mm bolts until you can free them up, then remove them along with the axle staps and set them off to a safe place.

5. Now take your pry bar and pry towards the back of the truck to free the front drive shaft u-joint front the front diff, once u have it removed slide the driveshaft toward the back of the truck then pull down and toward the front of the truck so its now below the front diif then take your prybar and pop the front driveshaft off its spline at the rear of the front shaft just keep sliding it forward until u can get it out of your way and onto the ground, pretty easy if done right.

6. Well now that the drive shafts out of the way your in there like swimwear , Get your 12 point 13mm socket and remove the 3 bolts holding on the encoder motor itself to the side of the transfer case.

7. once the bolts are removed you can just pull that old junk off, remove the gasket from the old encoder motor and clean it up nice with the brake parts cleaner then treat the side of the transfer case with a good bath of it also then apply the old gasket to the new encoder motor, No need to buy a new gasket is a real thick hard plastic mostly used as a shim i assume place the new encoder motor in place, Put your assembly lube on all the bolts you will be putting back in, Its the best way to go.

The reverse the process you just did, and find yourself a trail or some mud because your back in business. I hope this takes some of the guess work out of this job and helps some people who may be a little afraid to change this part. Its really not that hard when you use all the right tools, all tools i used from start to finish i listed. well ladies and gents blazers bravadas and jimmys im out of here......lowlife has left the building

Last edited by LowLife; 09-23-2011 at 11:00 PM.