Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

03 wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Beginning Member
agb1976 is on a distinguished road
Default 03 wiring harness

I picked up a new head unit from an online retailer. I have and 03 4dr ls trim with rds. After connecting all of the the wring harness that was sent to the radio wire harness, taking apart the dash to access the radio and taking the radio, come to find out it the wrong plug on the wire harness adapter that was sent. I call the company I ordered from and explain the situation. Long story short they tell me I have the 04 wiring harness in the Blazer in my 03. My production date if 4/03. So somewhere along the line Chevy changed the radio wire harness but I'm not sure when. So I put everything back together so I can drive for another week and have to wait a few more days for the new adapter at no charge. It just frustrating doing all that work for nothing. I hope this will help someone in the future knowing that the 03 Blazer 4 dr with rds might be an 04 harness.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Beginning Member

Got the new wire harness, connected to new stereo and everything works great now. I don't even have the bad static on the radio I had before with the factory head unit.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:30 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear they got you taken care of! For everyone's benefit can you let us know what online store it was? It's good for everyone to know about a good vendor who's willing to take care of customer's like that. If I had to guess it's either Crutchfield or Sonicelectronix.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Beginning Member

It was Crutchfield. They had a new harness to me in about 5 days, of course no charge.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:54 PM
jcm1980 is on a distinguished road

dam just got a 03 and was hoping to get around all this harnessstuff as i always just skin the wires and go on but i know alot of new vehicles just cant be done this way. mine has a 6 disk changer is this the same radio you had? what does this adapter do surley theres a way to by pass it without having to get a hundred dollar part or hooking up 2 radios?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:52 PM
jcm1980 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if a 2003's blazers dash speakers are connected to the front door speakers? Don't seem like theres seperate wires so im guessing there either connected to the door speakers before it gets to the radio harness or my blazer may just has dash covers and no speakers. Does any not have dash speakers but have covers for speakers? I'm not using no wiring harness just skinning the wires and leaving the factory plug.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Beginning Member

No I didn't have the cd changer on mine. Its was just the rds radio single disc. Not sure about the speakers but that sounds right, there were only four positive speaker wires in my harness.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Got_Nukes is on a distinguished road

Which harness did you use? I had the same problem with Crutchfield, but I went to a local shop to get my second harness. I used a Metra 70-2003 harness. New stereo works great, but now I get some new door chimes from the speaker after I shut off the blazer and open the door. Prior to installing, the chimes came from under the dash.

I only connected pwr, grd, switch pwr, and 8 speaker wires. Didn't connect the illumination or dimmer wires.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Defiant is on a distinguished road

I had that same problem with them in my 02, the problem is the RDS radio's in the 2002+ use that different harness. I chose to just go to my local audio shop because I was frustrated and didn't feel like calling crutchfield and waiting for the new harness through the mail.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Got_Nukes is on a distinguished road

@ Defiant

Did you use the basic harness, or the more expensive for the RDS? Was quoted about $80 for the more expensive. I used the basic one and am wondering if that is why I now get the extra door chimes from my speaker after I shut off the blazer and open the door. I still get the under dash chime if I leave the lights on and open the door.

Trying to track down this new alarm after installing the stereo, but nobody wants to "chime" in.

Quick Reply: 03 wiring harness