Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   2 or 4 channel (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/2-4-channel-84399/)

Steve-o 02-14-2014 05:57 AM

2 or 4 channel

after I get done with insurance in march I plan on starting to upgrade components in the GP and blazer. my question is would it be worth going with a 4 channel amp and upgrading the rear speakers in both vehicles too? or not worry about them and just get a 2 channel and front components? since the GP houses a 5.25 and I don't want to cut up the door panels in its iv decided on the Crescendo CZ SERIES 5.25. then either the same series(but 6.5) or the Incriminator 6.5 for the blazer.

altoncustomtech 02-14-2014 06:47 AM

IMHO to hell with the rears. Every time I've seen a thread asking about rears the argument is that they "want the passengers to hear the music too" and I call bullcrap. For example in my van I have only the front set of 6.5" components with the subs in the rear. I've never once got a complaint that passengers in the center or rear row of seats couldn't hear the music. I have gotten complaints to turn it down, but that's another issue entirely, lol.

The point is YOU are the driver and the owner of the vehicle so you should be worried about how it sounds to YOU. The extra speakers running in the rear only confuse, skew and ruin the soundstage and imaging. Worry about how good it sounds to you and trust me the passengers can hear it just fine. If you want them to know how good it really sounds to you then let them sit in the drivers seat. I do it all the time when I demo the van and the Jimmy because the people I'm demoing them to get the full effect from that seat. Otherwise if passengers are involved they can hear it just fine and that's all that matters.

Get the components, get a good 2 channel amp and focus all your worry on the installation of the speakers themselves. A good installation will make a bigger difference than anything else possibly could.

Steve-o 02-14-2014 07:17 AM

also what I thought (I just like to get other opinions and experiences and see which ones are similar to mine) now since iv decided on the CZ crescendos,,, what 2ch would be the best match up for them? better yet, what are my options for quality (we all know crescendo, IA, sundown, maybe SQ)

Steve-o 02-14-2014 07:50 AM

wouldn't I need a 2chn that's 200x2 at 4ohms?

altoncustomtech 02-14-2014 07:54 AM

I would recommend buying the most powerful amp you can that fits within your budget that comes from a reputable company. I wouldn't be the least bit afraid of anything from the companies you listed, PPI, Soundstream, Pioneer, MTX, etc. as long as it's a reputable company.

The reason I said the most power you can get for your budget is because headroom does WONDERS for getting great sound. I wouldn't be afraid to run double the rated power to the components. There's an article HERE on the benefits of having the most power you can afford to put on a pair of speakers. You'd be very surprised how much speakers open up when they're not being limited by distortion/clipping in an amplifier. All you have to do is be careful with the volume knob and listen/smell for stress from the speakers. Also use the crossovers in the HU or amp to limit the amount of bass those small speakers can't even play anyway from getting to them and let the sub(s) to that job.

altoncustomtech 02-14-2014 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Steve-o (Post 618602)
wouldn't I need a 2chn that's 200x2 at 4ohms?

The speakers are rated at 100wrms per side. While it is fine to use any amp at all to power them I would highly recommend one what is rated at 200wrms x 2 @ 4 ohms for the overhead. If you wanted to play it safe then anything in the 100wrms x 2 @ 4 ohms would be fine.

Steve-o 02-14-2014 07:59 AM

is there any good ones at or near $100 lol ima say not but its worth a shot to ask

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PI-P600.2.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...I-BK340.2.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-T1000W-2.html

altoncustomtech 02-14-2014 08:28 AM

I wouldn't be the least bit afraid of running that PPI P600 or the PPI S580. Even something like a Pioneer GM-A5602 wouldn't be bad. You could even go with a JVC KS-AX3204 or even a PPI S320.4 or an MB Quart OA400.4 or a Hifonics GLX60.4 or a Hifonics ZRX600.4 or a MB Quart OA600.4 or a Pioneer GM-A6604 or any four channel of the like that fits your budget and bridge it. The only hiccup with doing that is matching the gain on each pair of channels so that both sides are at the same output level. That can be done with a simple 1khz test tone and a volt meter.

Steve-o 02-14-2014 11:40 AM

I believe you like the word or lol. but thanks for your suggestions

altoncustomtech 02-14-2014 08:25 PM

LOL, maybe I do..... :p

I think you get the idea though that even for a $100 budget there are plenty of options if you don't lock yourself into and concentrate too hard on the numbers. So what the speaker is rated 100wrms that doesn't mean you can't run 25wrms or 250wrms to it as long as the circumstances and limitations are understood about what is being done.

Steve-o 02-14-2014 08:33 PM

yea ima look into a set of pioneer 5.25 components (atleast for the grand prix). I actuly like pioneers non entry level stuff (only headunit I really care to run too)

Steve-o 02-14-2014 08:35 PM

ehh id rather spring the extra 20ish to get the Nendos

altoncustomtech 02-14-2014 08:45 PM

Have you actually heard the Crescendos? The Pioneer TS-D1320C's and TS-D1720C's are really nice sounding components for the money. Not sure which Pioneers you were referring to but those are hard to beat for the money. I like trying new equipment and for those prices it's doable without losing your ass but considering the age and experience of the R&D department that Pioneer has at their disposal compared to Crescendo I'd really want to hear the Crescendos installed in a vehicle first.

Steve-o 02-14-2014 08:49 PM

Pioneer TS-D1320C (tsd1320c) 5-1/4" 2-Way D-Series Component Car

those vs

CZ Series 5.25" 2 Way - Crescendo Audio | Online Store

Steve-o 02-14-2014 08:54 PM

could just run it off the 5 channel I have

TIS Audio T510PK 5-Channel Amplifier with Loaded 10" Subwoofer check the amp that is in that kit.

ATM its in the blazer wired up to those mtxs (cant beat free lol)

if so, with little power that it would be pulling would I really need to get a battery shure enough for that and the Q1200. I might could go to a local battery store and see what AGMs they have. btw when looking at a non audio agm battery, what numbers should I look for, for the wattage im running?

altoncustomtech 02-16-2014 10:50 AM

I wouldn't use that amp as a permanent solution. I couldn't find a single place on the internet that gave the correct specs for the amp, they were all different. The one consistency I did find was that it only has 50A of fusing which tells me it's not at all a very powerful amp. It's probably not the highest quality amplification of the signal either.

As for the battery, like the suggestion I made for the amp for your highs, buy the biggest one you can afford. The added capacity helps to keep the voltage up when the draw exceeds the alternators ability to keep up. So you're using a SQ1200 now, if you only buy a battery big enough to help with that size amp and you upgrade to a SQ2200 later on for example then you'll need more capacity again. The numbers to look at is the "Ah" or the amp hour capacity of the battery.

If you follow the basic hierarchy of how the rated capacity is for a rated amount of power you'll want to get a battery rated for about 25Ah to go with the SQ1200. That's all, not a very large battery at all. If you can buy one that's in the 50 to 75Ah neighborhood you'll be good for just about anything you ever plan to use and without spending the big cash you would on one that was 100+Ah.

Steve-o 02-16-2014 11:18 AM

o you have any experience with fitting a sub n a single cab Toyota pickup. I haven't done any measurments but I know its smaller then a normal single cab. if the box fits iv came up with this,

Ground Shaker ST 1 8-GRAY (st18-gray) 8” Single Sealed Single Cab

Pioneer TS-SW841D (TSSW841D) 8" Single 4 ohm Shallow-Mount Sub

altoncustomtech 02-17-2014 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Steve-o (Post 618836)
o you have any experience with fitting a sub n a single cab Toyota pickup. I haven't done any measurments but I know its smaller then a normal single cab. if the box fits iv came up with this,

Ground Shaker ST 1 8-GRAY (st18-gray) 8” Single Sealed Single Cab

Pioneer TS-SW841D (TSSW841D) 8" Single 4 ohm Shallow-Mount Sub

Not directly but I can say that a single 8" sub in a sealed enclosure is going to be fairly weak. If you weren't looking for anything more than a little extra added low end at low to moderate listening levels this would be a viable solution. Wanting anything more from it would be an exercise in futility.

Steve-o 02-17-2014 09:49 AM

its for my dads truck, he's not a bass head, but all these trucks have is 2 4inch coax. which his are factory and ****ty, OLD pioneer headunit that dosent turn on anymore. so I planned to give him a little better system in there after insurance come march. (hes in his 60s so bass isn't his thing like what I like) and I will not modify anything on his truck (as in cutting to make something fit) for what he likes I was just gonna run my little 5 channel in there since that's all he really needs.

altoncustomtech 02-17-2014 09:53 AM

THAT is a PERFECT plan for both that 5 channel and the 8" sub and box setup. Those goals will be easily met and equipment properly utilized. Very good plan there my friend. Your dad should be very happy with the results.

When you install the new equipment be sure to utilize the HPF crossovers in the new HU on the new 4" speakers so as to let the sub take care of all the low end stuff. It will make for a nicely balanced setup and keep distortion from such small speakers from ever being an issue for him.

Steve-o 02-17-2014 10:01 AM

only problem is seeing if that box will fit, gotta do measurements. if it wont fit then idk <..> because I know there is less room back there then most single cab trucks.

green97blazur 03-02-2014 09:31 PM

honestly, nobody talks about the hifonics amps anymore but they make great amps for a budget. go to Sonicelectronix.com and check them out