Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

2 door speaker Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:36 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

Unless you plan on reverting back to the old speakers for some reason then I would go ahead and solder on some new ends. Most all speakers nowadays use the same connectors.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:36 AM
GaBear is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lazyboyjake
Unless you plan on reverting back to the old speakers for some reason then I would go ahead and solder on some new ends. Most all speakers nowadays use the same connectors.
That is my problem I dont plan on putting back in the original speakers (well posssibly could on the tweaters) but I was hoping to use the original wiring harness connections so If I did ever want to do a speaker swap all I would have to is pull em out unplug and go. The Metatra quick connects I bought made it a little easier to hook up. I still ended cutting the speaker connection off and soldered the ends to the speakers because the connections they had were too small for my speaker connections. I guess since I have the tweaters already out I'll cut the connector off so that I can resolder them back on if needed. And get on to the headunit swap over. Byvthe way the new RF spaekers sound great with the old head unit. Just too many problems to ignor.

Any one know what I need to do wirh the old Cassette player? I'm sure that when I pull the old head unit that it will become just something else to be in the way. Would like to make a storage hole out of it so I can have a place to put my Cell while driving. Just not real sure what kind of nightmare its gonna be get out of there and what to fill it with????? Any suggestions????

Old 05-23-2015, 10:11 AM

These are the connections you need to be soldering to the end of the wires. They will allow you to quickly disconnect your speakers, and they will fit most all current speakers. You can get them at any auto parts store.

As for the cassette player, I think some people have turned it into a switch panel for their accessories, others have made it into storage. It's really up to you. And it pulls out really easy, I've done it before on my brother's blazer, but it's been a while so I don't remember the steps exactly.

Attached Thumbnails 2 door speaker Help-sony_connect.jpg  
Old 05-23-2015, 10:17 AM

center console with cassette player. help with possible storage spot? - S-10 Forum
And this is just one idea for the cassette player, look at post #7 and #12

Old 05-23-2015, 04:53 PM

Those were the ones that was on the connectors that I bought. They were too small for the RF speakers I bought. They were built for power. Wasn't able to do any work on the system today but will work on it again tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to cut the old connectors off of the tweeters and if I have to do any modifications later I'll just do what I had planed to do anyway which is run new Wires.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:26 PM

center console with cassette player. help with possible storage spot? - S-10 Forum
And this is just one idea for the cassette player, look at post #7 and #12

That was just what I was looking for thanks.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:31 PM

These are the connections you need to be soldering to the end of the wires. They will allow you to quickly disconnect your speakers, and they will fit most all current speakers. You can get them at any auto parts store.

As for the cassette player, I think some people have turned it into a switch panel for their accessories, others have made it into storage. It's really up to you. And it pulls out really easy, I've done it before on my brother's blazer, but it's been a while so I don't remember the steps exactly.
These are what I bought

Attached Thumbnails 2 door speaker Help-61xtsjqa-ml__sl1500_.jpg  
Old 05-23-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by GaBear
Those were the ones that was on the connectors that I bought. They were too small for the RF speakers I bought. They were built for power. Wasn't able to do any work on the system today but will work on it again tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to cut the old connectors off of the tweeters and if I have to do any modifications later I'll just do what I had planed to do anyway which is run new Wires.
Oh, alright. Like I said, most speakers will fit it, I guess those don't lol and glad I could help find that solution to your cassette problem.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:15 AM

Well did not get home till late and I've got to go to work tomorrow so Guess I'm at a stand still. Hope to work on it a few hours later this week before I have to head to KY Friday morning. Would be nize to have some tunes to jam to on the way up.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:26 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Every speaker manufacturer can do things differently since there's no specified standard. Typically most Pioneer speakers for example have the 3/16" and 1/8" terminals like the ones those adapters have. Apparently your RF's have 1/4" for both terminals. It's no big deal to cut off the smaller terminals and crimp on some the right size. I've even taken a file and whittled down the terminals on the speaker to help them fit too. It all depended on what parts I had on hand and the time I had to get the work done on how it was handled.

It doesn't really matter as long as the final connection is good enough to withstand the rigors of driving around without coming disconnected.

Quick Reply: 2 door speaker Help