Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

2000 blazer zr2 audio question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Asuryan9 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 blazer zr2 audio question

Hey, I just bought a 2000 blazer zr2. It had a previously installed aftermarket cd player but with no AUX spot, so mostly it is useless to me lol.

Is there a way to find out if I had a BOSE system stock? I am under the impression that the stock cd player Said if it was a BOSE system on it, but it is no longer there.

And this I need to know so I know what I can do as far as adding a sub to the back and change out the speakers which from the little i've read doesnt play well with bose systems and the stock bose amp.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Beginning Member
jettamanny is on a distinguished road

It should say in one of the door speakers if you take one of the door panels

Old 10-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Beginning Member
kibamaru99 is on a distinguished road

You're still better off ditching Bose. Bose is a huge joke. The more you turn the volume up, the more the bass turns down. Plus paper speakers aren't cool. :P

Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Asuryan9
Hey, I just bought a 2000 blazer zr2. It had a previously installed aftermarket cd player but with no AUX spot, so mostly it is useless to me lol.

Is there a way to find out if I had a BOSE system stock? I am under the impression that the stock cd player Said if it was a BOSE system on it, but it is no longer there.

And this I need to know so I know what I can do as far as adding a sub to the back and change out the speakers which from the little i've read doesnt play well with bose systems and the stock bose amp.
I agree with jettamanny, pull a speaker, if it had the Bose system the logo will be on the speaker. I also agree with kibamaru on the fact that you should ditch the Bose setup, like you've noticed, it doesn't play well at all with aftermarket equipment.

If you find the truck does indeed have the Bose equipment the best solution I have would be to bypass all the factory audio connections and run your own wires. If you plan on powering your new speakers with the HU then run your own speaker wires from the HU speaker outputs directly to the speaker locations. That will have the factory stuff completely out of the loop that way.

If you plan on running your speakers off an amplifier then you'll have to run new wires anyway and you won't even have to worry about hooking anything but the RCA's, power and ground wires up to the HU. Which ever way you're thinking about doing it wiring it like this will eliminate any problems with the factory Bose amp.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:55 AM

Thanks guys. Now I have an after market hu in there now,
just not a good enough one, I need aux lol.

If it turns out I did not have a Bose system I can use all
The wiring already there?

Also I didn't look very hard because I've been working at lot and
I don't drive to work but how much of a pain is it getting to all
These speakers??

Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 AM

Thanks guys. Now I have an after market hu in there now,
just not a good enough one, I need aux lol.

If it turns out I did not have a Bose system I can use all
The wiring already there?

Also I didn't look very hard because I've been working at lot and
I don't drive to work but how much of a pain is it getting to all
These speakers??
I can understand the need for something more in the HU. Out of idle curiosity, why do you need an AUX input? What device are you wanting to have play through it?

Yes, if it doesn't have the Bose system you can save yourself the trouble and use the existing wiring. Without the Bose system there's nothing else in the audio path to worry about.

Believe me I know all about working a lot. Getting to the speakers isn't anything too difficult. There's two bolts just under the pull handle on the door card that you have to remove. Then it's just a matter of prying it back off the door. There's little plastic panel clips that hold it on, just pull/pop them out. You might grab some at Autozone or some place because they rarely ever make it more than a couple times of doing that.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:22 AM

I'd like an aux so I can play my music from my phone. I haven't
Had to carry CDs around in forever lol.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully next week I'll be able to get out there and pull a door panel off and check the speakers.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 PM

I'd like an aux so I can play my music from my phone. I haven't
Had to carry CDs around in forever lol.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully next week I'll be able to get out there and pull a door panel off and check the speakers.
What kind of phone do you have? It might be easier and sound just as good to get a HU with Bluetooth. Then you don't have to worry about a cable connection, you'll be able to use it as a hands free device, and in MOST cases it also gives control of the music play (tracks, pause/play, etc.) through the HU that way. Then you wouldn't have to pick up the phone every time to change the song and such AND if you have ever used Pandora you'll have the ability to listen to that as well.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Starting Member
99bblazer99 is on a distinguished road

you gotta be careful using bluetooth on some head units cause some quality is crap my dad had a brand new kenwood and the bluetooth sucked horribly on it.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 AM

I have an Android Samsung galaxy s3. I'm definitely not opposed to using Bluetooth if it sounds good. I was planning on buying a hu with both if I could afford one. If nothing else Bluetooth would be good to have for calls, I can't afford a driving on my cellphone ticket lol. Just add a few more things to the list of things this truck has. I was not expecting power seat, Auto headlights or heated side mirrors when I went to look at the truck lol. It has more options then my leased 2009 Nissan sentra lol. I wonder what these trucks cost new ...

Quick Reply: 2000 blazer zr2 audio question