Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

2009 Avalanche/2004 GTO/2004 Blazer Build

Old 08-05-2010, 02:25 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

and because you guys are so understanding.... here are the long awaited, build in progress pictures...

Here is the teaser picture i sent Josh of all the amps going to be used.

to start, a few exterior shots of the 2009 avalanche with a 2 inch lift

the first thing we installed in it...

eventually these will be put on, they're 22inches, i laughed... he has some things to take care of first aka his mother in law is bankrupt from stupidity and he has to bail her out and move her in with them... yeah... dumb

Next we installed the Cadillac Escalade mirrors so he had the turn signals, puddle lights, and power fold mirror.. plus i like the half chrome half black to match the wheels.

sound deadening the doors using Dynamat Extreme and a layer of Second Skin Ensolite to absorb all noise.

Once all the doors were done, we installed these behind the speaker holes
they're from Second Skin and what they do is catch the back wave of the speakers and disperse the wave so that all you hear is the actual music.

Next we moved to the floor where we dynamatted it, ensolited it, followed by a layer of
MLV which is very heavy absorbent material that does the same as ensolite but much much better... you have almost no road noise with this stuff

just make sure your seat bolts are long enough, thank god GM used really long bolts on the full size trucks

we then cut out mounting brackets for the JL HD600/4, JBL MS-8 sound processor, and JL HD 750/1. the 600/4 is on the passenger side, ms8 on trans hump, 750/1 on driver side

i forgot to snap a picture of that final layout, the little piece on the far side is the board for his streetwires distribution block, 1 gauge in, 4 4 gauge out and grounding terminal

next we built a box for his 2 JL Audio 13w5 subs. they're the really thin subs from JL, similar to the Pioneer and Rockford Fosgate subs but much louder...

Note the failed attempt at using the spray on rubberized coating... we have no idea what happened.. sprayed a layer, dried over night, sprayed second layer, dried over night... 3rd day, the coating was flaking off without much pressure applied to it.

Then we listened to the subs and they didn't hit low enough for either of our likings... SO... what do you do?

You go and buy this

JL Audio 12w7...

but before i forget.. we hid all his wiring under the carpet and cut little slits allowing all the wires room to pop up and be plugged in while still staying clear of everything

this was on top of mlv, under the carpet

also, a nice little teaser pic of his 2004 500hp gto. no turbo or supercharger here... pure american muscle

His GTO isn't in operating condition right now because some shop down here who does a ton of work on classic muscle cars and claims to work on new, tried to retune his car for the high humidity here and actually caused it to run much worse... so, next month he is trailering it to a shop in Delaware to have them to the work.

To put things in order, his avalanche is priority 1, we got the hard stuff out of the way, he wants to get the speakers in but is having surgery friday to have his deviated septum fixed. this means that he cannot do any work for a month involving lifting 5 pounds or more... he doesn't trust me to cut up his door cards to put the mids in the upper half of the doors. i'm ok with this but it means we might not finish his truck before i get home on the 15th.

After his avalanche, we are going to work on my blazer... installing the 1000/1 and 300/4 and keeping a 300/2 in safe keeping in case i ever get a good set of components haha. mine are ok but are entry level JL and they are lack luster in the highs for my tastes.

After those 2 are done, we have to paint his basement, stain his deck, and a few other little jobs here and there before we replace the speakers and amps in his GTO.

so, if i don't have shots of his avalanche or GTO finished, i'm sorry. but i do have some shots of the speakers in the doors of his GTO, that took us about 30 minutes the other day along with swapping out the older pioneer he had that had very little control over the speakers.

i forgot about it until 7 tonight

i have pictures of my truck being sound deadened but its 4 am and i have to put the last layer of paint on his walls in the basement in the morning, a ton of other "stuff" aka sh**, and then hopefully have a box built for the lovely 12w7 that is sitting in his front hallway

here are my 3 amps. :-D

i lied, one 300/2 is his still. my 300/4 is hidden off in a box right now. i need to fix a stripped screw before i can put it back in my truck

they're the reason i will need to do the ad244 swap.. but, it'll be so worth it haha (insert maniacal laugh here)... i'm sleep deprived, sorry for my bad humor

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-05-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: *Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit feature to add more information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

i laughed so hard at the w7 story. i love you topper. you make me want to go out tear my truck apart and start workin on ****!

do you fiberglass too?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:41 PM
BF Veteran

I have but I'm not good at it yet. Eventually I'm going to make kick panels and maybe a sub box. But for now I just use resin as a hardener on boxes and baffles

Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah those pics make me feel better. Starting to get stur crazy from having this surgery done. Looks good Mack and good luck to yoyr brothers surgery. He's gonna have a sore face for a while! I had my septum pierced and stretched it a little bit, and it's not so much pain as pressure in that area from swelling and the such will drive a person batty.

If it makes him feel any better, I had my damaged earlobes cut off, and the remnants burned and stitched together wednesday morning and they are throbbing pretty good. But hopefully I'll have semi normal looking ears now. Anywho the builds are looking good and I have never seen a GTO in that color. Looks SEXY!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 PM
BF Veteran

thats the stock yellow too. its an 04 with a cast iron LS Block bored and stroked to 6.7L putting down 500hp at crank with a mild tune, he's going to have it made more aggressive where it will probably squeak another 20-30hp out of it.

anyways, i'm taking a 5 minute break from painting so i'm going to upload the sound deadening of my truck tonight after we build some 12w7 boxes :-D

Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking forward to the SD. I'm about to tear into mine for just such.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Sweet freaking audio build! BTW- tell your buddy to watch out on the deviated septum surgery. when I was six my my older sis broke my nose with an uppercut (I was 6 and forgot to put the seat down, not even kidding) and I had a deviated septum as a result of that. Doctors said I was too young for the surgery then and as I've gotten older and talked to people who have had it, they all say the results are not worth the recovery. So tell him to get used to having one nostril and get back to building that system! Lol

Old 08-05-2010, 10:33 PM
BF Veteran

its my brother and he literally cannot breathe out of his nose whatsoever so... the surgery is much needed. its going to be fun to see 2 black eyes and a broken nose on my oldest brother who tormented me as a little kid. i can't wait haha

Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
BF Veteran

And now.. the deadening of the blazer that i call my own... and i'm crazy with how much i did... only broke one thing too!!! the recliner handle on my driver's seat was snapped off by my brother when he went to pull it off the bolts... he gave me money to replace it at my local junk yard and we fixed it for the time being using back strapping... pretty sturdy now

This is where i left off last summer when i had a rear window blow out replaced.

then i went a little crazy

but before this, i had some rust prevention to take care of. and yes, my truck is deep red and the paint i used is black... NO ONE WILL EVER SEE IT OTHER THAN ME SO :-P haha

Then i noticed my frame rails were rusting so i took a wire brush and got all the rust off i could and used lovely spray paint until i buy some bed liner or something at home

more

more

and a little more haha

then i saw my busted handle and got angry.... i had to set the seat back in to move my truck so my sister in law could head back to work and saw this lovely gift...

the handle was fixed with liquid nails which failed.. then super glue, hot glue and back strapping... it's going to take an act of god to break that beast now...

next i laid down all the MLV on the floor i could and put my wires on top to run both sides of the tunnel.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 PM
BF Veteran

AND... YES, i work in sandals most of the time because i walk bare foot through the truck so i don't break anything... some say stupid, i say smart...

next came dinner... that i ate while buttoning up my zero gauge that somehow fit in the truck so i didn't have to go under, although that would have been cool.

can anyone guess where my 0 gauge is?

i love split loom

next i moved back inside to raam matting the panels and ensoliting them along with the sheet metal... this was an adventure haha

this is the B pillar which for some reason isn't solid.... i ended up raam matting over it and then ensoliting it. it did the trick, no more weird sound coming from behind me.

and here is what happens when leg hair meets spray glue... lets just say not a fun experience

sound deadened the bottom of the rear panels.. i also ensolited them but it was 2 a.m. and i forgot photos

i then went to bed at 3 after wrestling with some stupid stuff not fitting... so i came back at 9 in the morning to finish it all up

Last edited by MTopper; 08-05-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Avalanche/2004 GTO/2004 Blazer Build