Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

93 Suburban stereo help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Starting Member
InsanePyro is on a distinguished road
Default 93 Suburban stereo help

Well I finally got around to a new truck...'93 Suburban. The guy I got it from had a really crappy deck in it. So I get the dash panel off and find the guy duct taped the wires together So I figure he was just low on money. But upon further investigation I found that as far as I can tell the factory wiring harness is completely missing The power for the deck was provided via a wire ran directly to the battery which I disconnected and set off the car alarm in the process. So I'm asking...how do I go about finding the remainder of the harness?

Granted I know she ain't a Blazer but from what I've seen alot of the wiring looks alot the same.

As always....thanks guys

Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I think on the crutchfield website they have wiring info ....might help

Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Starting Member

It seems like all they have are generic guides unless I buy something from them. And I think I'll end up needing almost a vehicle guide as I might have to do some digging behind the dash

Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Starting Member

Again thanks for the reply but as I said....the factory harness is non existent...I need to know where to go hunting for the wires...

Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 PM
BF Veteran

Let me get this straight.. because there's no factory connector and someone chopped em back, you think he totally stripped the wires out?

I doubt it very much.

As far as where to start looking for the wires.. are you really serious? I COULD be a condescending patronizing ***** and tell you to start at the rear left taillight harness but I wont. If there was a radio in there, you got the speaker wires..so that's good.
Now all you need to find in the vicinity are constant power, acc power and the wire from the dimmer/dash lamps.
That's why the wires are color coded!!!!!!! You got fuses, you got color codes and presumably something to test for power with. If that isnt enough then what the hell is it exactly you want to know?

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-04-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Starting Member

No you read that right....he had wires running along the floor to speakers he had sitting loose in the truck...I think I found the front dash ones but as for the ones in the rear doors and ones above the tailgate I have no idea where to look

Last edited by InsanePyro; 03-05-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 AM
BF Veteran

The point is .. in the factory harness the speaker wires are all bundled. Use an ohmmeter or an old phone handset battery to test which speakers. If they work, you'll hear them scratch and pop

Sounds like he ran all new wires but you said he had 'duct-taped' them. So what was taped?

I still dont get the problem. You cant own an old car... esp an old GM car.. and not own some kind of electrical tester.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Starting Member

Yeah I've got a multimeter...and all he had was his deck and then his own wires ran from under the dash to each speaker he had hooked up....there is nothing behind the deck now that I removed all the loose wires. Down by the brake and gas pedal there is a whole jumble of wires though. I'm guessing its down there somewhere?

Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Starting Member

Hey I found it! Whoever did this cut the whole harness off right above the gas pedal...now the question is the wires for the rear speakers...do they go to the ones in the roof above the tailgate or the ones in the second row of seating doors?

Quick Reply: 93 Suburban stereo help