Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Advantage disadvantage of using a battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:27 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advantage disadvantage of using a battery

I've seen set ups with batteries sitting in the back... is that to power the amp instead of using your regular battery?

Old 06-19-2006, 01:55 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Advantage disadvantage of using a battery

Sometimes people put the battery in the back to move the weight distribution towards the rear of the vehicle. I guess you could use a battery in the rear to power an amp too, but you'll have to run wires from the alternator to the battery in the rear which would be just as much hassle as running wires from the battery in the enigine compartment to the amp in the rear. Unless you're looking to improve the handling of your truck I don't really see any reason to move the battery to the back.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:57 PM

If you've got hydraulics you'll need a bunch of batteries and there's storage space in the rear for all those batteries, I guess that's another reason for putting batteries in the rear. Keep in mind you'll need a larger alternator if you plan on having more than one battery in the truck, or you'll have to plug the auxiliary batteries into a charger when you get home every night.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:00 PM

Well thanks. I got another question... say I have 2 1200 watt subs and a 1600 watt amp... Would I need a new alternator thats cranks out more than my 105 amps?

Old 06-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad's benz has the battery in the back, just because it's a huge battery and there's not much room in the engine compartment for it, and also for weight distribution.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:33 PM
97blazer44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your car will run with those amps on a 105 amp alt. but you will have a voltage drop and every light will dim when subs hit. You could look to get a stinger, or ohio generator alt. but look to spend around $400-$500. Or look at doing the big three..

BIG 3

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=73496&PN=1

also many people will have multiple batteries and alts. in a setup so they will give more power and be able to run there car without light dimming. Its more power out of another battery then using a cap.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:22 PM
drifts14x is an unknown quantity at this point

You could also just run a capacitor on your system, that is the easiest and cheapest solution to your problem, it levels out the electric charge and doesnt drain your battery nearly as much, would make your system much better. For that much wattage, you will need a good 1.5 or 2 Farad Capacitor, but sure beats more batteries or a $500 alternator.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:16 PM

Thanks alot everyone for your help. I like the capacitor idea. I'm just nervous because one thing that happened to me was I let my brother use a couple of my older 12's with an mtx amp when he went up north... Well he came back and I put em back in and somthing wasn't right... My ground wire melted some of the plastic that is was touching on the bolt it was grounded on. I couldn't figure out why... I looked at the main power wire and he blew my fuse and put a straight 4g peice of wire in between it so it had constant power... And I don't know if this is why but after that my alternator fried(I don't think that was it but hey... it worked fine before) and my battery was dead, just not pretty. Well I took the subs out and haven't put em in yet. But thanks for all your help.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:30 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

capacitors are rated in RMS power, so if your amp is say 1000 Watts RMS, then you need a 1 Farad capacitor, 2000 Watts RMS is a 2 Farad. A 1.5 Farad capacitor should be more than enough if your amp is 1600 Max, 800 RMS I'm assuming.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:38 AM

ORIGINAL: 88s10Blazer

Thanks alot everyone for your help. I like the capacitor idea. I'm just nervous because one thing that happened to me was I let my brother use a couple of my older 12's with an mtx amp when he went up north... Well he came back and I put em back in and somthing wasn't right... My ground wire melted some of the plastic that is was touching on the bolt it was grounded on. I couldn't figure out why... I looked at the main power wire and he blew my fuse and put a straight 4g peice of wire in between it so it had constant power... And I don't know if this is why but after that my alternator fried(I don't think that was it but hey... it worked fine before) and my battery was dead, just not pretty. Well I took the subs out and haven't put em in yet. But thanks for all your help.
It sounds like you weren't using a heavy enough gage wire and it overheated, I'd check the power wire along its entire length and make sure it hadn't melted some of the insulation off and grounded against the frame. It may be best to spend an hour and pull new wire making sure to use a heavy gage. Think about how hot a 100W lightbulb gets, a 1000W amp can get just as hot passing current through a wire 10 times as big as the fillament in a light bulb and it's not in a vacuum so the wire will burn and eventually break, if the broken end touches anything grounded you'll have a short and your battery will drain if you don't have a fuse between the short and the battery.

Quick Reply: Advantage disadvantage of using a battery