Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

after market reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:29 PM
blazerboy124 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default after market reverse lights

so i want to install fog lights in the back of my truck so that when i back up i've got more light (ive been towing a trailer alot recently and need more light) and ive got a few questions....first off where should i mount them? roof? trailer hitch? secondly how do i get my tail lights out so that i can splice the fog lights into them, so their only on when i put it in reverse? and thirdly and probably most important, how do i wire them up? the way i was told sounds kind of shotty i was told to:

remove the tail light, find the power wire to my reverse lights cut the wire and take a wire nut and wire nut the 3 ends together, then ground the light out...and repeat for the other side....

if i take the power and run it to the light and then ground the light, wont that ground both the fog light and the acctual reverse light....thus making it so neither of them work?

i havent done anything yet because i am most definatly not an electrician and i would like some info on how to do so before i screw anything up..

thanks all

Old 11-06-2008, 06:04 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: after market reverse lights

ok to help ya out with sum of the questions,
First do you live near a pepboys auto store?
they have lights which i bought for mine that can hook to the veh 2 ways, either by drilling holes for the barckets that they come with or metal brackets that you attach with very large ty raps ( also in the pkg) i wouldnt go that way though they shake alot..
dont get anything that takes a bulb more than 55 watts,
I put that kind of light under my bumper and their great plenty of light, their hooked right into my rev light wire for the stock lights...
The taillights come out very easy, open up the tail gate the piston has to be popped off at the top you`ll see a clip that you pry out just a tad and it willpop off take out the 2 screws holding the lights in place run your wires carefully and splice the lights in, put the taillights back in pop the piston back onto the pin and close your tailgate your done..wala you have a second pair of rev lights, need pics of mine?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:03 PM

i already have the lights, i got them from an Autozone, they hook up to my rig via mounting brackets and several screws. these are the lights that i havehttp://www.pilotautomotive.com/Produ...roductID=27124 i was planning to mount them under my bumper in the rear....

pictures of your set up would be appreciated greatly, i know beggers cant be choosers but can you take as many as possible? such as where the screws for the tail light are, the clip i have to pop out to get the piston off. ect, ive never taken the tail lights out of anything before so could you pretend that im an idiot....which really am.

you have no idea how greatful i am that you found my thread...ive been wanting to do this forever...but couldnt do.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:14 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

just to let you know i had those same fogs lights in the front and the worked great. The downside is the housing and the brackets rust (like most metal things do), but when i tried to remove mine i could not get the bolts out that hold the light to the bracket and i only had them for around 6 months. so i had to cut the bracket making them useless to mount elsewhere. Overall they are a very good fog light as long as you dont plan on moving them.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:06 PM

yeah, i have no intention of removing them once they're in. although i might do some thing to stop the corrosion of the brackets and bolts especially since i live where there is snow and snow means salt on the roads and salt speeds corosion. so i'll probably hit them with like a clearcoat or a sealant of some sort....but all in all they worked pretty okay? how's the beam on them?

i think im going to mount them on the bottom side of my rear bumper

Old 11-07-2008, 06:45 AM

ya mine were all rusted after a winter in MI. Overall they are fairly bright. They should work well for reverse lights and now that i think about it i might get some for my reverse lights. It would be a god idea to put some kinda sealant on them.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:39 PM

i hit them with a clear coat from a spray can, not sure of what kind, but just some generic junk from the hardware store....umm i took the lense off so that i could hit all the metal, after letting dry i took some caulking and ran a small strip where the plastic lense meets the metal housing and sealed that shut. over all i think that its going to be fine this winter in VT i mean like i said before ive got no intentions of removing them once mounted......speaking of mounting, i dont know where iam going to mount them, i was thinking about on the bottom of my bumper but then i thought "hmm ground clearance in snow ect" and i changed my mind...any suggestions?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 AM

ya i have been trying to find a good place to mount some too. I think i am going to wait till i get a body lift and then mount them between the bumper and my hitch

Old 11-09-2008, 09:18 PM

that would look really good, i dont have the time money or know how to install a body lift. so for now im going to mount them above and to the sides of my license plate, under that little lip , i think that they will work fine there, and if not then i move them. no biggy, i plan on leaving enough extra wire and such so that i can move them around if i desire.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:31 PM

sounds good

Quick Reply: after market reverse lights