Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Aftermarket Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:49 AM
2010Tiger is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Aftermarket Radio

Alright, I know there is the thread that tells all the parts needed to install an aftermarket radio, but I do not feel like hurting my eyes by looking at that huge paragraph, so can someone just tell me what i need. I am going to put in an aftermarket radio eventuallly. I dont know which kind yet, but i would like to know the parts i need. I have a 97 blazer. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:51 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Without knowing what post you are referring to, why would we want to duplicate information that has already been posted? Please take the time and read whichever thread you were talking about. If you have specific questions after doing so, you can ask them in that thread.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:56 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your gonna need a single din radio cause a double din won't fit in a blazer unless you get a oldsmobile bravada dash piece, or if you build a support brace yourself and trim piece. You'll need to get a wiring harness for your vehicle that you solder/crimp the wires from it to the harness that will come with your cd player. Then you will need a dash kit to secure the radio so it doesn't vibrate or move when you hit bumps or rough roads. The factory radios, well most gm radios for that matter are very tall and shallow. Where as most other autos have shorter and longer radio headunits. Regardless your new headunit will probley stick out from the dash about a inch, inch and a half and with out the dash kit you will see the din sleeve and it's just not good. Also your gonna need a radio antenna adapter cause the factory one won't work with the newer cd players. All of this you can find on Crutchfield.com. Just look up your vehicle. They will ask for year make model 2 or 4 door with or without bose and factory radio or aftermarket radio installed. They have great prices and very well organized website. Let's see wiring harness, dash kit, antenna adapter, I think thats about it.

Sorry, but your gonna be reading a paragraph either way. Get some clear eyes and have a nice day.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
Sorry, but your gonna be reading a paragraph either way. Get some clear eyes and have a nice day.
HAHAHAHA GREATNESS RIGHT THERE!!! i don't understand what people are talking about with their radio sticking out though, then again i'm driving a newer 2nd generation with the double din slot. My radio sits nice and flush with the dash and fits perfectly.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:48 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

On crutchfield even before I ordered the headunit, when I searched for cd players that would fit the blazer. It said the radio will stick out from the dash. And if you look up a dash kit for a 1st gen, it sticks out a little bit so it's not loose in the dash like my JVC was lol. Maybe it's diffrent for some models.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:42 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

I believe it, the sad/funny/perfect thing is that i have 2nd gen and you have 1st gen, we have the best of both world for the blazers, we just need an old K5 guy/gal with a system to pop in and have it all taken care of. its 2:40 and i'm "working" on a presentation for my final on monday. oh boy is it fun

Old 05-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

the mounting kit is about an inch out from the dash, so the face of the radio sits and inch er so out .

I recently did a install on my buddies 98 bravada with a different kit from bestbuy. in order for a aftermarket single din to fit, the metal brace has to be trimmed down in the back so the radio doesnt hit it.

however this was a bravada and not a blazer, the mounting arrangements should still work

the picture is of my bravada with the kit that "pokes out" the radio (pardon the dirtyness, that was just afteri bought the truck)

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Radio-dscn1197.jpg  
Old 05-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

Years ago, I had a 91 4wd 2dr Blazer. The only HU I could fit without it sticking out was a JVC unit. I don't remember the model number. I also had to modify the rear brace, etc. Most HU's are too deep to look flush with a 1st gen. My 04 currently has the stock delco, but it will be going soon.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

My pioneer is flush in my first gen, a little heat gun a little pushing on the heated up plastic behind the HU and voila!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:05 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

I guess when they switched the 2nd gens to the newest style they changed that, cuz my Pioneer fits perfectly flush and looks mint!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio