Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

always learning something new

Old 04-28-2009, 03:26 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question always learning something new

today, while sitting in a kroger parking lot, i was playing with my fade and balance and came to the position of the rear passenger side speaker. just as i have been reading the past week about the common problem of the rear speakers going out, i soon realized that no sound was coming out of that one particular speaker. i checked all the others and they still work. so here is my question. what is the best/low cost/compatible/easy installation speakers i can get to at least replace the two rear door speakers with or possible all door speakers? not too educated on the audio stuff. also how complicated is the installation of new speakers. im also thinking of putting in an aftermarket head unit, would that make installation any easier?

thanks
stevo

Old 04-28-2009, 05:35 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

just because the speaker isnt working doesnt mean its the speaker itself that is damaged. Check the wiring.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Starting Member
DrEaMsTeVe is on a distinguished road

IF the speaker is damaged, then I highly recommend the Xplodes from sony (6.5's) as they are really easy to install and have universal mounts.

I don't mean to advertise, but I have yet to find another speaker that sounds that good for the price and the mounts that it has. No need for drilling or adapter plates.

If you want easy, 50 bucks and your set for two speakers.

If your happy with the head unit that you have, then there is no reason to get aftermarket if all you need to do is replace the speaker. Just pull the bad one out and put the good one in. Pay attention as the negative is black and red and the terminals on the Sony's are different sizes so you dont get them mixed.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:31 PM

ok thanks
bobditts, telling me to check the wiring doesnt help me a bit
you got any details on how to check it
like i said im new to the audio stuff. what way does the wiring run?
and yea im thinking about just keeping the stock head unit
and IF i cant get my speaker to work, that may just be a deal
but im not for sure yet
thanks for the responses, and any info anyone has post it

Old 04-29-2009, 02:56 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

i wouldnt recommend the xplodes.....they are garbage...you can get a nice set of pioneers for a good price. easiest way to check the speaker is to take off the door panel and check out to make sure a connection didnt come loose on the back of the speaker

edit: and dreamsteve the factory colors are not red and black for the speaker leads
Left Rear (+) Brown
Left Rear (-) Yellow
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue
Right Rear (-) Light Blue

Last edited by jagblazer01; 04-29-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Beginning Member
kross is an unknown quantity at this point

Start by taking the door panel off. Take the speaker out. Look to see that the wires are still hooked up properly to the speaker. If it looks good, try temporarily plugging in a known good speaker, such as the one from the other rear door. This will tell you if the speaker itself is bad, or something else.

Edit: Ha! Jag beat me to it!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:24 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kross
Start by taking the door panel off. Take the speaker out. Look to see that the wires are still hooked up properly to the speaker. If it looks good, try temporarily plugging in a known good speaker, such as the one from the other rear door. This will tell you if the speaker itself is bad, or something else.

Edit: Ha! Jag beat me to it!
boooya lol

Old 04-29-2009, 04:02 PM

ok, and right means pass. side and left driver side right
how do you go about taking off the door panel, are there just clips holding it on
or screws or something?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member
kross is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there's a screw behind the door lever, and another one under the armrest (going from memory). Then you just pry it off.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Starting Member
DrEaMsTeVe is on a distinguished road

They were red and black for my 2000 blazer 2wd 4dr. Only the fronts were the colors you specified. I did hear that all that was a bit mixed for the year. and model.

I only recommened the xplodes as an easy replacement if you don't want to drill or go find adapter plates. Especially if all you want to do is replace the speaker and only if you need to replace it. Anything is better than stock.

As for the door removal. There are 3 screws. Two behind that little panel in the door handle and one behind the door latch. Then carefully remove the whole panel one pop at a time. You may have to remove one of the trims on the side of the window. There is a door remover you can get to make it easier...I just use a large screwdriver.

You will need a torx bit to remove the screws to the speaker.

Here is a good tutorial I found that helped me out. Its for the 2000 blazer too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEqkG...eature=related
PART 1 (Intro)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzoGw...eature=related
PART 2 (Door panel help)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrGra...eature=related
PART 3 (Front Door)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: always learning something new