Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Amp and 6 speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Amp and 6 speakers

Alright, I plan on replacing my factory speakers with Alpines (6.5, 5.25, and 4x6) making a total of 6 speakers. I will also be buying an aftermarket headunit but have not found one that I really like yet. My question is, should I put an amp in between the headunit and speakers? If so then where would I find a small amp that would provide 30-100 RMS wattage to all six speakers and fit somewhere underneath the dash. And lastly, would there be anything wrong with mounting an amp underneath the dash?

Old 03-26-2007, 11:52 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Amp and 6 speakers

wouldnt recommend the amp under the dash, too much heat.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Starting Member

Where would be a good place to put it then? Or is there another alternative?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

just put it in the back, and i would just forget about eh dash speakers, and get compnents for the front. Power them nicely, and it will sound much better. Yea, under the dash would be way too hot.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Starting Member

I will already have 2 12" Kicker's with a 400 watt mono amp in the back. I have had these for a while. I don't know what the factory headunit would put out power wise but would just using that be alright? I guess I can always try it and find out, but is there any alternatives to using an amp? I just don't think it's reasonable to put another amp in the back then run the wires back up front....

Old 03-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Starting Member

Would you explain the whole component idea over regular speakers?

Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

As far as I've been able to find, only one model of Pioneer speakers will fit in the dash, without mods... anything else is too thick/tall, whatever you want to call it, the mounting depth is too deep...

Component speakers, is what you most likely have in the front.

Your midrange speaker, is the 6.5 in the door, and your higher notes come from the tweeter in the dash, held there by a 4x6 plate.

The only place you could safely mount an amp under the dash, it would get kicked...

Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

components have crossovers which prevent bass from going through the tweet resulting in a cleaner sound with less distortion. And just better overall sound.

you can fit 4x6's in the dash with a little trimming, i have infinity's plate and they fit and sound great.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Starting Member

Okay so if I went with an Alpine component system it would give me 6.5"s and the 2 tweeters, I would have to buy the 5.25"s for the rear doors correct? Would I be able to hook up all 6 speakers to the crossovers or just the tweeters?

I am still stuck on the problem with the amp too, if the factory headunit will provide enough power (or atleast if you think it will) to power the aftermarket speakers and I shouldn't worry about an amp I wont. If you think I should get one, then how big and how many channels, I only plan on spending a couple hundred on an amp, perferrably below 200.

And another question while I am thinking about it. How do you figure out how many watts are going into each speaker/sub. For instance I have a 400 watt mono amp powering 2 12" subs. How many watts are they each getting?

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it

Old 03-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

I would forget about the 4x6's. The Components will only take one set of wires to the deck. Do not wire all the speakers to the crossovers. Only wire the Tweets and the 6.5's to the crossover. Get a decent 4 channel, heck get a refurb kicker zx350.4 off of shop.com for 135 or so. That will power all y our speakers nicely. just be sure to set the gains right.

Quick Reply: Amp and 6 speakers