Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 02:41 PM
RCarp48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Amp?

I was curious looking at this but do u connect the positive and negative on the right side of both subwoofer together??

Old 03-11-2007, 03:33 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

yep

Old 03-11-2007, 03:56 PM

That wouldnt blow your subs?

Old 03-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

no it would not. that is the correct way to wire them.

Period

Old 03-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Which would be louder a mono block amp of 2000 watts or a 2channel amp of 2000 watts?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Starting Member
Loud_01_Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

it would be about the same depending on the brand of amp you decide on. if you get a mono block amp wire them to 1 ohm. if you get a 2 channel wire them like the above picture to 4 ohms bridged. good luck.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:09 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

mono blocks are built to specifically run subs. If your still thinking a crunch amp theres no way its going to put out 2000 watts.

also running that much power your charging system is going to really suffer.

you will get more/cleaner power from a bx1606 than a crunch pos. and its stable at 1 ohm. giving you more wiring options which is a good thing.

also generally class D amps run more effiecently, If i had the choice (like you)
I would go with a single channel amp.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:33 PM
nai0013 is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason your subs dont sound is loud may be that your just used to the noise, or that running your system does take away from your battery (are you idleing? or driving on a highway?). Or some amps do automatically take the power down at a db interval (3 or 6) although that's not too comoon. Sand you ground again, what size wire are you using? what kind of battery are you using (you may consider buying a stinger or optima yellow or red top)? Is it a factory alternator of HO? I can suggest this for anyone with a system run atleast a 4awg (pre 1/0) from your alternator to your battery (pos.), run the same sized wire from you neg batt terminal to a ground point on the engine block, then runanother wire from neg batt terminal to a ground point on the frame. This may require sanding and possible a small drill hole, also it may require and I would suggest buying a terminal connector for your batteries. This may require cutting your stock wiring but trust me it wont hurt it and it is repairable. This helps with dimming and easier electricity flow.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member
Dohcser is an unknown quantity at this point

These guys hit the nail on the head. When it comes to audio, distortion is the main enemy. Distortion varies as it comes from many different walks of life (or sound). In your case you need to do the basics first as some of these individuals suggested.
Ensure you have the proper AWG wire, if your amp is truely putting out 2K Watts I would go with at least 2AWG, however I doubt you are getting 2K watts on 12V without upgrading your electical.
Now to the volume lowering, this is most probably caused by the Transistors heating up within the amp which is normal. As mention a proper ground is vital. Make sure you have an absolute solid connection, do not skimp out here, get proper ground terminals and a proper place on the vehicle chassis to ground it to. Make sure and scrape off the paint and get a nice shiney connection.
Are you running off of your stock head unit? If so what do you have and do you know the voltage output of the head unit?
Are you using multiple amps off, of a single pair of RCA's?
Most people turn up the gain's on their amps to almost max and believe they are doing good, however in most cases it is causing problem especially in the "lower" grade amps.
Ideally you want to have a "hot" signal from your head unit, my Eclipse head unit actually puts out 4V at 1Khz, I checked it with my Oscilliscope. This is good believe it or not, ALpine and Pioneer state 4V and in essence they put out around 2.2V when I checked, which is OK.
Anyway if your Head Unit is not putting out much voltage you might want to invest in a line driver. Now if you do this you need to check the specs on your amp to see the max input.
Audio Control sells excellent drivers, they tell you when the signal is clipping, when it starts clipping this is when distortion is induced. I check this with my scope and Audio Control is right on the button with clipping.

Lets say you don't want to spend any more money and don't take my advise above. What I suggest is that your turn your amp gain down all the way, then turn up your head unit to 75 to 80% of it's max. Then gradually turn up your amp gain, until you subjectively like the sound. I use a signal generated tone on my subs and look at the output on my scope and this is more accurate, however sound is subjected to the person listening. So turn on the tune you like to roll to and do what I said. If you have any other amps for highs or mids you might want to disconnect them temporaily so you can only hear bass.

Sorry for the long post, if you need more help let me know.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:08 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Or, if you run your regular speakers off an amp, then you can tune it so maximum HU volume makes no distortion from the speakers...

Quick Reply: Amp?