Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

amp wire legnths???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Beginning Member
thrash902 is on a distinguished road
Default amp wire legnths???

i want to put a cheap powered sub in 97 four door blazer. i still have to run rca cable and a power cable. if i can fit under my back door how long should the wires be? and how about in the back?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road
Old 03-17-2010, 12:13 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thrash902
i want to put a cheap powered sub in 97 four door blazer. i still have to run rca cable and a power cable. if i can fit under my back door how long should the wires be? and how about in the back?

"fit them under your back door"?

"how long should the wires be"?

"how about in the back"?

WHAT?!?

ummmmm..........................the wires should be long enough to reach where you want to mount everything. would've thought that was a given.

as for fitting under your back door........what are you talking about?

and what are you refering to "in the back"?

while Jshark's link is a good thread too look @, i think you need to be a little more clearer in your question. either that or Jshark read something in your post that i sure didn't see.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:51 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

I'm with you Old Skool, i have no idea what he's talking about either and people i install for are very vague on what they want/need

Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Beginning Member

sorry i was very tired when i posted that. im sorry for the inconvenience of the text. i meant to say how far in length, from the receiver under the carpet to under the front seats? and then to the rear seats? and to the back behind the seats. i only need to know because i need to know how much wire i should buy and what will reach these positions?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

sorry guys... me and a buddy had a wing eating contest last night, i wasnt thinking clearly after i ate 30 flippin wings... haha i always buy the packs of rockfords wire from bestbuy, it comes with 16 feet and that was plenty for me.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Beginning Member

how far did sixteen feet reach?(where is your amp located? amp wiring kits come with about 17 feet....

Old 03-17-2010, 03:32 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

What i do i take and measure the length of the truck and buy wiring based off that and a little extra never hurt anyone

Old 03-17-2010, 03:53 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thrash902
sorry i was very tired when i posted that. im sorry for the inconvenience of the text. i meant to say how far in length, from the receiver under the carpet to under the front seats? and then to the rear seats? and to the back behind the seats. i only need to know because i need to know how much wire i should buy and what will reach these positions?

ok, that's a little better.

like Topper, i always take a tape measure, and roughly measure the distances i'm going through. like for the RCA's i'd measure dash to floor, & floor to where the box is gonna sit. follow the shape of what you're measuring around as best as possible.

i always round up to the next foot for each section i measure. i'd rather have an extra 2 or 3 feet of wire/cable when done, than find out i'm a few inches too short of wire. this is how you're gonna pay for the wire/cable anyways, so you might as well.

same idea goes for the power line for your amp, just make sure you don't forget to add any vertical masurements when adding it up (like from the frame rail up to the hole in the firewall you're going through).

and if you're gonna be running any other speakers from your amp, definately round up your calculations. i bought 100 feet of 10 gauge speaker wire for my Jimmy thnking it would be enough, and i actually had to go buy another 15 feet for one last corner.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you all for the help. i freaked out cause the kits say 17 feet and had a family member say that it took 25 feet run the cables in his small ford ranger.