Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Amp Wiring Preferences

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default Amp Wiring Preferences

Is it worth the extra 50 bucks to spend on wiring, when its similar gauge?

I was looking around on ebay and some online places and prices ranged from 10-100 bucks.....

I have just been toying around with the idea of putting my subs in my blazer, but still undecided, just pricing it out....

I have also thought about buying the wiring kit and then buying upgraded fuses and connections

Thoughts? I searched, and read for about 20 minute regarding Capacitors and the big three.... Is this all just preference(wiring the amp)....?

Old 10-08-2010, 06:37 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

wire is wire.. cca (copper clad aluminum) is usually cheaper so thats the price difference you're probably seeing.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...llation%20Kits

best place to buy amp kits imho

Last edited by 01vortec; 10-08-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:16 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i get all my wire from knu. Good prices for great wire. not a big fan of their in-line fuses and distro blocks though. Depending on how big you going I would recommend upgrading the big 3. Even if its something small it wouldnt hurt to do it anyway. DONT get a cap.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:29 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
i get all my wire from knu. Good prices for great wire. not a big fan of their in-line fuses and distro blocks though. Depending on how big you going I would recommend upgrading the big 3. Even if its something small it wouldnt hurt to do it anyway. DONT get a cap.
Yea... I read about that, I actually went through physics so I had a small understanding of capacitors prior to that, I have a 444 sony xplod amp thats old as my subs... lol

Wow... I never spec'd it out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-XM-444-Car-...ht_1001wt_1141

Please excuse my fail......

Last edited by wlorton; 10-08-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:01 AM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) is your best bet. Any decrease in the resistance of the wire is gonna improve efficiency and lighten the load on your alt. If you're on a budget though any stranded wire will work.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road

get wire that is real copper. wire is not wire. there are differences. and be aware of your off brand companies because they will say there wire is one size but it just has a thick jacket. in car audio you get what you pay for. and one thing to think about is are you gonna a second amp or a bigger amp then what you currently have. the reason you want to think of this is so that way if you need to do bigger wire then you only buy the wire once instead of 2 or 3 times. plus copper is getting more expensive so it doesnt hurt to look down the line.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Banned
djerock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 01vortec
wire is wire.. cca (copper clad aluminum) is usually cheaper so thats the price difference you're probably seeing.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...llation%20Kits

best place to buy amp kits imho
wire is not wire...
we sell 80 diffrent brands at our shop and since the price of copper has gone up some wire companies have skimped on there wire alot like some will say 4 ga but be 8ga wire in 4ga jacket we have found this with alot of name brand and off brand wire. we sell American Bass power wire they have a better stran count and it is true ga power wire....

Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by djerock
wire is not wire...
we sell 80 diffrent brands at our shop and since the price of copper has gone up some wire companies have skimped on there wire alot like some will say 4 ga but be 8ga wire in 4ga jacket we have found this with alot of name brand and off brand wire. we sell American Bass power wire they have a better stran count and it is true ga power wire....
I am thinking I need to stop in and check out the selection... Its right off 24?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned
djerock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wlorton
I am thinking I need to stop in and check out the selection... Its right off 24?
yup across from shell on rt24 in bartonville

Old 10-12-2010, 09:07 PM
zerepdivad is on a distinguished road

I'm partial to kicker and fosgate wiring myself. anyone who says wire is wire should be backhanded with a piece of cheap "4awg" and a piece of real 4 awg.

Quick Reply: Amp Wiring Preferences