Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Amps need to GROUND!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:12 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road
Default Amps need to GROUND!

Problem: When I fire my truck up the head unit reads "AMP_GRD" and the amp goes into safe mode (shuts off) and nothing comes out of the speakers.

Attempted Solutions: *Scuffed bolt and chassis to bare metal, applied battery terminal grease to spot, ground my amp via 6 ga. wire to the rear most bolt on the airbag sensor (dead center of center console under carpet).
*Removed paint from front passenger side bolt on Airbag sensor mount and tried again.
*Bridged a 2 prong ground to both spots and tried again.
* Drilled a hole under Airbag Sensor wire harness, scuffed spot to bare metal, and ran a 15mm (!) bolt through said hole and tried again.
*Ran a 12 ga. lead from and ground slot to (-) terminal on battery as a test.

Seriously WTF. When the amp is detached from main power source, but still has Rem Power Lead, it will turn on, and grounds just fine. When RCAs are out, power is detached, and amp is NOT grounded, but still has rem lead, sound plays through speakers w/o distortion (no subs though). When RCAs are plucked out of amp and HU, it has rem lead AND ground, sound plays through all 6 speakers w distortion at about 1/5th volume.

I have 6.5's with programable crossovers in all four doors. stock dash tweets (until i get some 3.5's or 4x6's). A 750watt 5 channel amp. 10" sub. Every thing is powered and grounded off 6ga wire. All speakers are wired in by 16 ga. The wire from amp to speakers is 14 ga (?) speaker wire. Standard car audio RCA's for amp input.

I would love any help that can be tossed my way. I'm struggling here and fairly out of my league apperantly. Open to semi-helpful suggestions. Hell, I'll take pointless side chatter and thread jacking at this point too.

Could this be caused by insufficent power output to sub via too-thin guaged speaker wire? Should I use something more heavy duty like 10 ga? Am I just electronically retarded?

**EDIT** Distortion does not increase with speed/ turning on lights and all components were NIB before my fateful install attempt...

*SOLVED* So it turns out I am just slow... Hu out through RCAs --> Amp. Amp out to speakers --> behind HU. Well, HU was put in ready to roll as if no amp was in the picture. So basically i created a power loop with no where to go. After cutting all speaker outs from HU --> harness, I'm in business.

Last edited by ABN31B; 05-30-2009 at 02:03 AM. Reason: SOLVED