Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

any sound quality blazers around?

Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any sound quality blazers around?

So Ive been skimming through the audio section and havent come across anyone who has built anything for sound quality.

My plan is to take out the rear seat and put a single mtx 8500 downfiring in its place powered off a mtx 1501D. Im putting a set of focal 165KF components most likely in the kicks powered by an eclipse EA4000. It wont be competition worthy by any means (that is what my 2003 sonata is for) but it will sound great when driving around.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: any sound quality blazers around?

i wouldnt say that mtx is anywhere close to SQ. I have sold MTX and competed with it. I agree with the components, although if you dont already have this equipment, I would have some suggestions. I have competed in DTS and IASCA's SQ Pro division, so I have some good Ideas.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 PM

The items I listed are just things I have laying around. Like i mentioned, im not looking for anything competition worthy. I just want something that sounds great while driving around - something that leans more to the SQ side of the house rather than the SPL side. I have used the 8500 in several different enclosures and the bestfor SQ was a small ported enclosure tuned to 29hz. It may be completely different in the blazer. In my sonata im running IB which I love. IB isnt really feasable in the blazer.

My main reason for starting this thread though was to see if any of the other members here were into SQ and see what they have done. Thanks for the input though mr admin

Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Administrator

sounds good. Yea, our blazers are a little tricky.

For my SQ comp setup I had the following:
Nakamichi CD45z (insanely hard to find these days)
Adire extremis paired with morel tweets (DMS37) with hand made crossovers
Seas Prestige 7's in rear
with 2 idq10's sealed

all powered by Brax amps

Old 10-16-2007, 10:54 PM

very nice. Im a big morel fan. In my sonata I am running morel 9" midbass in the doors, 15" dayton IB woofer, and focal polyglass 4" midrange and 1" tweet in A-pillars. Next week Impurchasing the alpine w205 and h701 processor and run everything completely active. Eventually I want to replace the focal 4" with a scanspeak 4.5" and not sure what to replace the tweet with yet. Everything is powered off a pair of eclipse XA4000 amps.

What is tricky about the blazer?I havent gotten a good look at the kicks yet (just brought the truckhome tonight and it was too dark out to see anything) but I imagine they shouldnt be that difficult to fab something up. That is one thing I love about older vehicles - it is very easy to custom fab enclosures and pods and such.

You have any pics of your competition setup?

Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Ah, you have a first gen dont you!! an 86 from your other post. Imaging is a strange thing in these blazers. I made about 4 sets of kick panels for my buddies 92 before I liked how it sounded. Those are very nice amp. I had those before I found a great deal on the Brax.

The DA series amps are probably my fav of all time. I just snagged a DA7232 again, now just looking for the other two (34230 and 32440) in nice shape.

I am torn right now for subs in this setup (for my 2001 Honda Accord), either two rl-i 10's or a friend of mine has two 10" brahma's new in box just sitting.

Pics are somewhere on some dvd, I will look for them in the next few days.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

sq too expensive and touchy.....I dont have the patience for it.

when I want sound quality I fade my deck 3/4 to the front lol

Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 AM

IF thats what its called for an 86 blazer, then yep, ive got the first gen. I just went and picked it up last night. The brakes suck on the thing. I hope they are disc (I havent checked yet) so I can get a big brake kit.

HAHA fading your speakers up to the front doesnt exactly make it SQ lol. Im sure it sounds better to you, but that isnt what SQ is all about. Imaging, tonality, soundstage, stage height...etc the list goes on. Im with you on the fact that it does cost some money and a lot of know how. I dont think its any more expensive than serious SPL though. If anything, I think its cheaper. You dont have to buy as many pieces of equipment and can (if you know how) make not so great speakers sound amazing just by the install and tuning.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Starting Member
FRICKINNUTS is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no room in the kicks for anything in the older blazer. Better to build out coustom doors.
The dash 4x6 locations kinda suck too. Built in a 4 inch and a tweet in the dash spots and 6X9's in the rear panels. I need to haul stuff (like kids) and don't have room for a big sub box. Got a mtx 10 inch helmholtz resonator hooked to a old fosgate 100watt. Great sound and plenty space. Plus I can unplug it and sit it in the garage when I need more space. Oh and a blaupunkt nevada in the dash.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:34 PM

actually I took a look at the kicks today and they are just flat. There is plent of room to build a custom kick pod for a 6.5" and a tweet. Ill lose a little bit of leg room but not enough to worry about. I will probably cover the pod in bedliner spray so it is weather resistant and can take a little bit of abuse. I will post pics once I actually get it started.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: any sound quality blazers around?