Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Audio advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:17 PM
67GTO is on a distinguished road
Default Audio advice needed

Let me start by saying I know pretty much nothing about this kind of stuff, but anyways I have a 02 blazer extreme and am looking at buying two 12" JL Audio subs(W-6's) in a closed box with a Boss 1200w amp (600w x 2 channels). My question is will this setup work with the factory radio and speakers?

Old 09-05-2009, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Yes/No.... there will be some problems, you need to buy an adapter but most members will say that it would be cheaper to go the route and get a new headunit... Although I would suggest checking both options....

Old 09-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Bravado is on a distinguished road

Is the Boss 600w RMS x 2? or is it a 1200W max

Old 09-06-2009, 09:58 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

first off I gotta ask...why JL? second, that amp probably wont put out the power it says and third, you will need to buy an LOC (line out converter) in order to use your factory radio with an aftermarket amp.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:04 PM

I was just intrested in this setup because it seemed like a good deal. Is JL a low end brand? Im not looking to spend lots of money, just a used setup for like $300 max

Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 AM

JL is expensive and it delivers some nice power....but they run about 600W rms each...and unless that amp is 1200W rms, you aren't powering two of them...

Old 09-07-2009, 08:57 AM

The seller said its 1200w amp, 600 x two channels, so it should run 600 watts to each sub right? By the way what is rms?

Old 09-07-2009, 06:52 PM

RMS (Root Mean Square) is what the amp normally puts out at average power. Peak is the max that the amp is going to put out. So if your amp is 600w x 2 peak....its about 300w x 2 rms....meaning you want a 300w rms sub. If you get those JL subs that require 600w rms, you will be giving them half the power they need; so it is a needed part of the information.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 PM
1 Post is on a distinguished road

To answer your question, Yes. the setup you have will work. For the amp to be hooked up to the stock headunit you will need to buy a line level adapter. this will allow you to tap into any speaker leads and allow you to run audio to the amp. Upgrading your headunit would be your best option. It would allow you to get more power and sound to your speakers and give you so much more control over your tuning and sound quality. JL is one of if not the top brand overall in sound systems. They are easily the most expensive. JL W 6's are no joke. I'm not familiar with the Boss amp, but i agree with Breavado. If the amp itself is not 1200 watt RMS, it is going to have a hard time making those W6's play to their full potential. If you can get the subwoofers for a good price and they are in good condition definately buy them. The amp, not so much. I suggest a JL 500/1 amplifier. That would give you PLENTY of power and a much cleaner sound.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 1 Post
JL is one of if not the top brand overall in sound systems. They are easily the most expensive.
I am going have to completely disagree with this statement. While JL is a quality brand there is absolutely nothing special about them other then their amps do the same power at different impedences. They are far from the top brand in sound systems. Rainbow Audio and Dynaudio, just to name a couple, way surpass JL in quality, sound and price.

Now back to the amp, im telling you guys, that amp will not put out a true 1200w. Not to mention dirty power which in fact, if the settings are not proper on the amp, will fry your woofers faster bc it will be sending a clipped signal to your subs

Quick Reply: Audio advice needed