Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Audio Noob

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 PM
MVPalmer271 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Audio Noob

Sorry, I am new to the audio aspects of vehicles. I just have a few questions I couldn't clear up surching. Ok, I am wanting a better sounding audio system, not something that can make my ears bleed but, quality, a little more base, and some good volume without distortion. I have a 2000 4dr LT w/out bose and with a new Sony xplode head unit. I was thinking of possibly installing 6.5 inch components in the front and just a nice pair of nonsomponent polks in the rear. If i went component in the front (with component i understand everything is seperate) would i mount the speakers in the door, the tweeters in the dash, and have to run new wires? Or can i use the existing wires for the speakers and, can the tweeters go in the dash? Also do components need to be amped? And if i just went with 4 nice speakers could i use the existing wires? Few Thanks
Michael

Old 05-04-2008, 09:13 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Audio Noob

I dont have much experience with component speakers but I dont believe they HAVE to be amped. However, after I installed a 4channel amp for all my coax door speakers (still using existing wires) it sounds MUCH better.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:40 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

Not true, comps do not have to be amped.....

yes tweets can go in the dash.....thats where most people recommend it anyway.

you have no desire for low end bass?

Old 05-04-2008, 09:43 PM

Did you run the amp into an aftermarket HU or or in the harness or?

Old 05-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Sry you beat me to it. I Would like more base but i know im limited with door speakers. I am thinking later down the road runing a small amp and 10 or 12 inch sub for quality.
Sorry about the back to back, my bad. Also can i use the original wires with the components.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

yes tweets can go in the dash.....thats where most people recommend it anyway.
This is VERY VERY Poor information. You dont want anything in or above the dash because any highs placed there can be HIGHLY distorted by the windshield... Most component sets are meant for the tweeter to be within close proximity to the driver. You can get away with your speakers in the doors, and the tweeters in the a-pillars, as long as they are as low as possible. You dont want the windshield to be deflecting any sound. I would not reccommend puting them in the dash though... bad choice! Having them in the a pillars will actually bring the soundstage up which is a good thing (I think what blazinloud is eluding to), but you dont want then in the dash ... period....

As for an amp... thats pretty much a given if you want to spend the money on comps.. otherwise your wasteing your money.

And yes.. you have to run new wires with comps.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:18 PM

OK, so I would just wire from my HU to my amp to my speakers and sub? Sounds Messy.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:31 PM
splblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

u would use the rca preouts from the HU to the amp that say rear and front. so with a 4 channel amp that means 2 sets of rca cables. then u would run 4 sets of speaker wire to the HU from the amp. connect to the factory wireing harness then your power,ground and remote. then your g2g im not sure about how much power the factory wires can handel but in a daily driver you shold be fine. unless you are running something BIG. lol

Old 05-04-2008, 10:49 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe this diagram will help... sorry for the sloppiness. IMO i would lose the rear speakers, they do no good. Get a GOOD 4 channel amp and use channels 1/2 for the comps, and bridge 3/4 to go to a single 4 ohm woofer. Just like this:

Old 05-04-2008, 10:51 PM

Thanks, I don't plan on running anything real big so if stock wires would work that would be great. I just hate running wires, I have already had to tare the dash and center console apart several times for a new head unit, car pc, and LCD screen and it sucked. I would like to stay in that general area. And Just checking for an easy way out im not really gonna pick up that much quality or base even if i get a nice set of speakers w/out being pushed by an amp right? Thanks

Quick Reply: Audio Noob