Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

battery question

Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Starting Member
jaked up is on a distinguished road
Default battery question

is there a way i can wire to batteries in my truck together and if so how do i wire them so it doesn't over load the wiring of my truck

Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Yes you can, people with big stereo systems have multipule batts. I'm not sure on the correct way to wire them though so I'll let someone who's done it to tell you.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:18 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

It all depends on how you plan to use the system as to how it's wired. In almost all cases you simply run a large gauge wire from your main battery positive terminal to the second (third, fourth, etc..) battery's positive terminal. BE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU FUSE THAT WIRE AT BOTH ENDS!! ***There's power in both batteries at all times, if you don't fuse both ends of that wire (as close to the battery as you can) and you get a short in between them it can and will cause damage and possibly burn the vehicle to the ground.*** Then ground on the frame/body as close to the battery as feasible. What can change is if you're planning on listening to the stereo with the engine off for extended periods of time then it's a good idea to get a battery isolator and install it so that your main battery doesn't get drained and leaves you needing a jump. That's about all there is to it, really.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 06-24-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Starting Member

im looking to wire 2 batteries because i have alot of lights on my truck im running 13 off-road lights that are all 55 watts a light and i am now putting a 500 watt sub/amp in with the system i already have which is a sony head unit that is a 4 channel at 50 watts a channel that is running 4 speakers that are not amped but are 220 watt speakers and 2 tweeters. im hopeing to wire one or two more batteries because im worried that when on the trail (i run with all the lights on 9 facing forward 4 facing backwards) i wont have enof power for it all once the sub is in so im thinking about ether another battery or a bigger alternator. or both

Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

How To: High Output AD244 Alternator for ~$80 - S-10 Forum
Look into doing one of these too, this is what I'm going to do eventually, for the same reasons.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Starting Member

yeah thats an idea ill def have to do that maybe i should go to the junk yard tomorrow and see if i can find one i will prolly run two batteries anyway so i have a trail spare and in case the alt dies on me bc it will be a junk yard part

Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

If your batteries are not matched you do not want to keep them wired together when not charging, this is why they use large solenoids to disconnect the batteries. Try searching for "Battery isolator". There are basically three types; solenoid, diode, and hybrid/combination.

The system I am putting together uses one battery for starting and a separate battery for all truck loads like lights, radio, cb, cooler, etc. i use an isolator between the two bats and the alternator. Also my starting battery is an optima red top, and my rear battery is a yellow top which can handle being drained really low better then the red top.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Starting Member

why do they have to match?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

The basics (without the science lesson) is that two battery hooked in parallel will do a flip flop discharge, that is one battery will discharge into the other and then vise versus. This can be minimized by using matching batteries, and by matching I mean same type, same age, used under same conditions, etc, or both never used. Its much better on your batteries to just get an isolator.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Beginning Member
NuitariFD is on a distinguished road

if i am thinking this correctly, you want an extra battery to help power the stuff that you will be running while your car is running, it would help but you have to remember not very much of your car runs off the battery at all, it is mainly used for startup if i am correct, the power that runs everything is from the power made by the alternator, so you should definitely get a high output alternator first. Extra amps to power everything else. for example one amp for your speakers and tweeter, one amp for your subs, and an amp for your lights. not 100% on this but relatively certain because i had a huge audio system and lights in a taurus i had ( 2 15", 4 6x7, 4 5") and neon lights all through out and underneath and i asked the guy that was helping me install it in his shop if i should get another battery and he said i could, but it would have to run parallel and it would be better to just get amps for each system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: battery question