Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Which is the best Capacitor Brand? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/best-capacitor-brand-14122/)

mdehoogh 11-15-2007 03:38 PM

RE: Which is the best Capacitor Brand?

i think mine is just an older version of the one you have.

http://aycu28.webshots.com/image/333...7957672_rs.jpg

WolfPack 11-15-2007 08:49 PM

haha i work at ccity, im in modile audio sales, not the install bay, but we get people coming in all the time asking us to check wiring. Basically all our installers will check is that proper voltage is dropped at battery, amp, and speakers, and ensure a clean ground. We usually see the problems from wires going through the firewall/body panels and the sharp edges cut the grommits and cut the insulation. NONE THE LESS, don't blindly take the advice of the installers, I know my store's installers are real good, but most best buys and ccitys will have a few good installers, and just throw some new people out there to learn by doing and cover install times.

you said the neons were hooked up to the 12v source...do you just have everything tapped into the battery posts, and have you made sure all connections and fuses are tight and secured?

drperry 11-15-2007 08:53 PM

Just took a drive, and with my rack 'o 800 on, and the bass cranked way up, and the volume at max, I get some slight light flickering... Barely...

With highbeams + lowbeams on, I get no flicker at all... The in-dash voltmeter never leaves the 14V line, so it's not all that fast reading, lol.

S10Blazer 11-16-2007 01:38 AM

Well, another thing that I do know, is that my "remote wire", the wire coming from the head unit to the amp, is taped up because when I first had my sound system installed, the rear bench went down, and cut that wire. So that wire had to be taped back together. Another thing is, The main power 4 gauge wire that goes from the battery to the capacitor,I have noticed that it has a bend mark on it from when the rear bench falls on it.

drperry 11-16-2007 04:37 AM

Same goes for my remote lead, which also, randomly gets torn out of my sub amp due to my setup, and using too short of a wire...
I've had one set of RCA's get snipped, one speaker wire, and the traditional bend in the 4 guage... You've just gotta adjust it so it doesn't get squished as much...

It won't cause any problems at all, unless the wire inside the insulation touches metal... If it was doing that, even intermittently, it would be independent of cranking the music up, and it'd most likely blow the amp fuse before anything else...

blazinloud 11-16-2007 10:51 AM

oh, k. well "ohms" is a measurement of resistance.

the old straw definition seems to work well. think about trying to drink a milk shake through a really skinny straw, lots of resistance right? for the sake of making it easier to understand we'll call that 8 ohms.

now increase the straw size, bam! 4 ohms, less resistence than 8 ohms, more power, or "milk shake" flow.

keep increasing straw size, the easier the "milk shake" can flow. hence the more power its drawing.

now to achieve the desired ohm load depends on how you wire the subs, wait.....I know a great diagram helper thing.

http://rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

sorry if my terminology isnt the best, thats how I learned and it seems easy to understand.

and of course theres stupid stuff like quad 1 ohm coils, or dual 3 ohm.......so sometimes, depending on the number of woofers, and the coil design, you can end up with a really odd ohm load.

some people can run their amps as low as 1/4 ohm.

anyone feel free to add or correct my jibberish

S10Blazer 11-25-2007 03:40 PM

Ok, just wanted to let you guys know, that I think I have a solution to my problem. My mechanic recently replaced my heater core, and therefore he had to disconnect my battery. When I got the truck back, the settings on the head unit were erased. I had my bass volume(max 8) set to the maximum when I first made this post. When I got the truck back with the settings erased, I set the equalizer to the same settings, but this time, I lowered the bass volume to 4, and I also lowered the knob on the amp remote to very low as you guys told me. Now I pump up the radio to about volume 45 or even higher, and I get no voltage drops. The bass is not as strong as it was on volume 8, but believe me, it is loud enough. Now I have the sound without drawing so much power.

drperry 11-25-2007 03:52 PM

Now you can start tweaking things a little more, and get that perfect balance between max volume and no distortion, lol.

I like not having to worry about anything, and just turning the volume up to max, and no distortion... A little less volume, maybe, but worth the trade off, IMO

S10Blazer 11-25-2007 04:43 PM

Yea, that is true. lol But I really never had any distortion, just voltage drops and dimming. Now I guess I can tweak it a little, until I find the highest volume without having any voltage loss or dimming. Im going to try it at volume 5 and see what happens. Thanks for everything guys.

blazinloud 11-25-2007 05:23 PM

just another tip, the bass enhancement,also is not a volume setting, its a distortion setting.

if you want louder bass, get more power.

PS GO RIDERS!