Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Building a small sub enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough
Default Building a small sub enclosure

I was wondering if it's feasible to try and build something like the JL audio StealthBox? I tried searching, but nothing quite like what i want. I want something that sounds good, but not necessarily earthquake loud. I see Pioneer and Sony make low profile, small enclosure subwoofers, but are they any good? There are a couple Blazer audio guys on here in the know it seems.

Thanks guys!

Old 11-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Sure you can make a similar enclosure yourself. Will require working with fiberglass, experience would be an asset. I believe the low profile subs are more commonly used in trucks behind the seats. I'll post some pics of an enclosure I am almost done with later for 2 8's.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 PM

I was thinking of using mdf for the flat side and top surfaces and fiberglass for the contours around the wheel well. I've worked with both, just not together.

Pics would be cool. Thanks Jason

Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

You're thinking correctly. Using them in that manner is the most common way of doing so. You'll have to ensure that the fiberglass is done right and much stronger than you would do for most things since subs can create surprisingly high amounts of air pressure inside an enclosure even without thousands of watts of power.

You'll generally be looking at a single 10 sealed or an 8 ported for the room that is afforded you in that little corner. I think there was a member on here who also did a couple of 8's, sealed I think.

As far as those super compact little subs, I wouldn't expect any miracles, nor would I get my hopes up on them being real good. They have to make a great many compromises to get them that small and shallow, none of those compromises bode well for performance. Yes, they'll make bass and produce music, but it's been my general experience that for the money they cost to fit in such a small place, the performance doesn't match it.

Making the enclosure like you're talking about and using a decent little sub would yield better results in my opinion, for what it's worth. If you could find room for something like an SSA DCON 10 or a Sundown E-10 in a well built and tuned ported enclosure you'd be very happy with the results and on only a few hundred watts of power.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:43 PM

So I did the painters tape and wax in the area where I wanted the form to be. Used 3/4" and 5/8" MDF for the flat spots afterwards. I would say that most the fiberglass is at least 1/4" thick, if not more. It's bigger than I was wanting originally, but that's what it needed to be in order to fit the ports and enough air space. It bolts into factory bolt holes, and 1 mount that I added. Also a pic of the amps on the other side, yet to finish the top cover for it all. These are 2 sundown audio sa-8's with 3" aero ports, off a saz-1000d. To keep space down I would recommend sealed. I still have most of the room between the wheel wells.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:19 PM

doing some quick estimates i should be able to get approx 1.5-1.75 cuft (based on 3/4" MDF walls) maximum with the space im willing to give up. I dont really want the huge bass anyway, so im thinking a single 10", sealed. then i can reduce the space im taking up with the box a slight bit. Ive read up a bit on the DCONs, they seem to be very popular, dunno where to find them here in Canada though. any thoughts what i should do for displacement? a DCON 10 is .9 cuft ideal, should i build to that? does shape of the enclosure affect displacement? thickness and composition of fiberglass? what about bonding the fiberglass to MDF?

Lots of questions, I know... any help is greatly appreciated though. I'll make you proud, i promise

Old 11-18-2012, 05:34 PM

thanks for the pics Jason! where abouts are you on the island? Port Alberni here.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Nanaimo. Might have to email SSA and see who carries them in Canada, not listed on their site. FG seems to stick fine to the mdf, I think that's acceptable ;S This is my second fg project I've done. First one I used bondo resin, which was quite thick. This time I used resin from industrial plastics, and it was WAY better to work with. The shape really shouldn't be much of an issue, more so the size. As long as it's within the recommended specs of the driver. When I was doing mine (quite some time ago) I used water inside a garbage bag inside the box to weigh it. Then used that to convert it to how many litres of space I had. I ended up having to add more to the box to get more volume.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Definitely email them to see if there's any dealers in Canada, otherwise you can order direct from their online store. I talk to a fella on their forum from up there who just ordered a pair of the 15" ICON's. He had them shipped to a family member just across the border here in the US so he didn't have to pay so much for the shipping.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Also for subs, check out FI audio.

Quick Reply: Building a small sub enclosure