Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Calling all audio gurus

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Starting Member
99lsdriven is on a distinguished road
Angry Calling all audio gurus

I have ran into a problem with a hifonics titan txi 7508. I initially pulled the amp apart (pulled the board out of the housing) because I wanted to paint the housing the same color as my truck, when I put it back together the amp immediately went into protection mode when power was supplied. I took it back apart and made sure everything was in the right place and all screws were reasonably tight, now when power is supplied to the amp, it turns on but makes a weird noise then blows all four of its fuses. I have been installing for about five years now but when it comes to random mishaps with amps, I'm completely clueless.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:16 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 99lsdriven
I have ran into a problem with a hifonics titan txi 7508. I initially pulled the amp apart (pulled the board out of the housing) because I wanted to paint the housing the same color as my truck, when I put it back together the amp immediately went into protection mode when power was supplied. I took it back apart and made sure everything was in the right place and all screws were reasonably tight, now when power is supplied to the amp, it turns on but makes a weird noise then blows all four of its fuses. I have been installing for about five years now but when it comes to random mishaps with amps, I'm completely clueless.
More than likely the problem you're experiencing is due to a short between one of the transistors that are pressed to the heat sink and the heat sink itself. The metal back of that transistor is connected to one of the legs of the transistor. Due to that fact there are some sort of insulator behind the transistors to keep them from shorting. Depending on what they used it's either a thin clear plastic looking piece or a red/black/orange/etc. colored rubbery looking pad. If one of those got damaged then it will definitely cause the issue you're experiencing.

The problem is that at this point the transistor(s) in question could very likely be permanently damaged and that's why it went from going into protect to blowing the fuses. Without a schematic and some test equipment it could be very hard to track down what all is damaged and get it repaired yourself. You might try calling dB-r and seeing if they repair those amps or know someone who does but giving the inexpensive nature of that amp you're likely much better off looking at getting a new one. I'm kinda having a hard time understanding why you needed to remove the board to paint the heatsink too. Taking off the end caps and doing some careful tape work would have been a fair bit easier and much less could possibly have happened to the amp to damage it. At least that's how I see it. I would recommend the Audioque AQ750.1 as a great replacement if you can't get the Hifonics repaired.

Good Luck!

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 09-02-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Starting Member

That definitely sounds like the problem, first time taking an amp apart. I didn't think the little plastic sheets were necessary so I didn't take the time to repossition them when I was screwing the transistors back to the shell of the amp.. I am going to look at that link because if one transistor on that amp is shot, I'm sure multiple are.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:53 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

You live and you learn, and nobody ever learned anything without trying stuff out. At least next time you'll know the little sheets need to be there, lol.

I don't know which link it was you were referring to, but if you do end up having to look at a new amp that little AQ750 seems to be a beloved little amp. There's plenty of options tho in that power and price range.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Starting Member

When you posted about the AQ750 the first time it showed up red like a link lol. I thought for a moment about repairing the amp but I honestly think I'm going to upgrade to two SA12s anyway and whatever rockford amp best suits them, slightly partial to Rockfords amps since they are under rated.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Starting Member

Update: One of the guys I work with is about to get out of the audio game and offered me a 2000w class D amp.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:24 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 99lsdriven
When you posted about the AQ750 the first time it showed up red like a link lol. I thought for a moment about repairing the amp but I honestly think I'm going to upgrade to two SA12s anyway and whatever rockford amp best suits them, slightly partial to Rockfords amps since they are under rated.
I can hook you up with sundown. Im a rep for them. A good match for a pair of sa12s is a 1500w amp. Whether it be sundown or rockford

Old 09-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Starting Member

The only reason I am partial to the rockford amps is the fact that they under rate their products. But I have seen what sa12s can do as well as read up on them, I'll check SAs site and talk to the boss (wife) about buying a pair for the blazer. I just don't know what I want to do with the kicker.. Kicker products have been a part of my life since I was fifteen. How well do sundowns 6.5s compete with more well known brands like memphis and JL?

Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

Just so you know sundown under rates their amps as well. The new saz1500d puts out almost 1800w. Sundown 6.5s are whats called pro audio drivers so you cant really compare them to component or coax sets from jl or memphis. I will tell you this, i had a set of jl xr's in my front doors and the pro audio drivers blew them out of the water in regards to clarity and just plain loud with minimal power. You will have to buy a separate tweeter though which is not a big deal. Selenium makes a great set that goes well with the Sundown neopros

Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Starting Member

Okay okay, but I need to start with the amp for the lows because I am on a budget. I think I'm going to look into that saz1500d, hopefully my kicker holds up until I can afford the sa12s.

Quick Reply: Calling all audio gurus