Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Capacitor question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 03:34 AM
Starting Member
djremix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Capacitor question...

OK, I have 2 Alpine amps, a Stinger distribution block and a 1 farad digital top Stinger cap. My question is, do I hook up my cap before the distribution block, run the power wire to the block then to the 2 amps? or do I put the cap after the block and run the power wire to the bass amp only? What's best way to do it?

Old 12-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Capacitor question...

i wouldn't hook up the cap at all. Im not sold on their usefulness in systems. if you are getting serious voltage drops when bass hits, upgrade the big three.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:48 PM
yeags is an unknown quantity at this point

With all due respect... A capacitor is one of the most important parts on the inside of any amplifier. The better they are, the better the amplifiers potential. Capacitors are designed to feed the amplifier current on demand. The cap stores energy until the amp needs it, and then the amp can draw it instantaneously from the cap as it needs it. It's a much more efficient system than drawing from the battery or pulling from a distribution block. Now, depending on the system, the amps that you have may not draw enough juice where you need one, so it might not be necessary, but it won't hurt anything by having it in there. They do nothing negative to the electrical system and they are so much better for the amplifier. The amp will get more current on demand and that makes for cleaner sound. [/align][/align]I would hook up the cap. if you have it. [/align][/align]In your case, I don't know what you have (speakers, how many, impedance, etc.), but I would guess that probably running it to just the sub amp would be the best bet. Depending on the Power line that you are running, it might also be beneficial for you to run a second line from the battery (so you have a dedicated line for each amp. Remember to fuse each line within 12" of the battery, and use the same Gauge ground wire as you use for power wire. Oh yeah... DON'T short the terminals on the cap...[/align][/align]Good Luck.[/align]

Old 12-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Starting Member
Loud_01_Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^i totally disagree with that. your so much better off upgrading the big 3. if need be upgrade your battery and alternator. a cap will just be a waste of your time hooking it up and money you spent on it. but if you think you need it go for it.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: yeags
They do nothing negative to the electrical system and they are so much better for the amplifier.
Wrong due to the fact that a cap adds more resistance to the power wire.
and
The cap stores a charge which is provided by the battery which is charged by the alternator. Thus the cap is another electrinic device that the alterator has to support. The reason why you dont see the headlights dimming is because the fast draw is from the cap instead of the battery. But it does you no good if your alternator cant keep up. No sense in putting more load on a system that isnt efficient to begin with.(killer sonata from the12volt.com)

You can read more here.
HERE

Old 12-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Starting Member

THANKS YEAGS, I think you and I think alike on this one. I am not running a competition system, I will be running a 10" Alpine SWS1022 (dual 2ohm) bridged at 4ohms to my5th channel on my Alpine amp and 2 12" audiobahns AW1200Q (dual 4ohms) bridged into 4 ohms into my mono Alpine amp. I am having a slight dimming issue at loud volume from my 2 12's right now on my 5th channel of my Alpine amp (my mono amp, 10" woofer, distribution blockand capnot installed yet, BUT I alreadyown them) but I guess all I wanted to know was do I hook up my cap before the distribution block, run the power wire to the block then to the 2 amps (cause both amps will be pushing subs)? or do I put the cap after the block and run the power wire to themono amp only? I know all about running same size power and ground, fusesand all that jazz, just wanted your opinions...AND YES I WILL BE INSTALLING THE CAP! cause I do believe they work and I DO NOT need to upgrade battery, already have an Optima red top battery.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:52 AM
Administrator

Hey, if you want to install the cap go ahead. I gave you my honest opinion on them. I have been competing and installing for 15 years, including holding current MECP master installer certificate. I have also worked with Richard Clark, who invented the first stiffening capacitor. To paraphrase him, if caps do exactly what they are supposed to do, they would be on every competition car in the lanes.

But when you are still having dimming after you install your cap, look into upgrading the big 3(grounds) .

Old 12-30-2006, 02:10 AM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about

LAWL @ THIS THREAD!

I think Hillbilly and Loud_01 Blazer are right.

Capacitors are not good

I want to give everyone in this thread a hug!!

Cancellation might be an issue with running two 12's and a 10.

I shouldnt ask. you are for tryin that. Capacitors infact DO DAMAGE to your electrical instead of helping

Old 12-30-2006, 02:51 AM
Starting Member

Thanks hillbillyinohio for the help! I will upgrade my ground wires...and install my cap too!

I think Hillbilly is a genius!!!!!!

Peace out yeags, hillbillyinohio and Loud_01_blazer, thanks for the help!

Old 12-31-2006, 03:55 AM
mikeywaynebygod is an unknown quantity at this point

capacitors aren't worth a *damn*. i bought one and it's useless. but hey, what would jon and hillbilly kinow, they're just mods.

correction, jon was a mod, lol, nvm. but hillbilly is. and jon's going to install school and i do think he would know what he's talking about. but everybody has their diff. opinions, and my opinion is they suck.

*EDIT: swartlkk* - editted for language.

Quick Reply: Capacitor question...