Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

car audio noob

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:02 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car audio noob

okay guys im going to start working on the audio for my truck, i dont want to spend too much money and dont want a competition system, just one that sounds decent and a little better then stock
i was thinking sony xplods 6.5's in the doors and 4x6 in the dash
and a single 12 inch sub
idk too much about subs and stuff
a guy can sell me a 12 inch alpine type r in a truck box, that fit in a dodge ram with a 800w rockford fosgate amp, but idk if it will fit. he said he will sell it to me for 175

Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

how much is too much? you need a total budget

Old 03-23-2011, 03:01 PM
steelrfn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevo
okay guys im going to start working on the audio for my truck, i dont want to spend too much money and dont want a competition system, just one that sounds decent and a little better then stock
i was thinking sony xplods 6.5's in the doors and 4x6 in the dash
and a single 12 inch sub
idk too much about subs and stuff
a guy can sell me a 12 inch alpine type r in a truck box, that fit in a dodge ram with a 800w rockford fosgate amp, but idk if it will fit. he said he will sell it to me for 175
A single sub is what I have in two of my blazers, and it sounds fine.
As far as fitting, you have the whole cargo area to work with, why wouldn't it?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:09 PM

sorry i forgot to mention, i have a standard cab sonoma haha
and my total budget is about 300 bucks total

Old 03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't get sony's they kinda suck, the alpine sounds good, and the shallow box should work fine. check out crutchfield for speakers. check out the polks they are buy one get one half off right now. I have all polk in my truck and they work great, I have the db's in the doors and the 4x6's, mm 6x9's in the back and the sr sub
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All-Car-Speakers.html?tp=105#&nvpair=FFBrand|Polk+Audio

Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM

he said he put the sub in his std cab dodge ram and could move the seat all the way back
but i saw that these subs have a 6 7/8 depth , plus the thickness of the box material so im looking at ~8 inchs, and idk if i have that much room without sacrificing leg room
i have heard that the alpine type r's sound really good though

and these would work for my truck correct?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB46...io-db461p.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB65...dio-db651.html

Last edited by stevo; 03-23-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:02 PM
BF Veteran

yep that's the perfect fit. now I had a 97 s10 and my speakers weren't in the dash they were behind the driver and passenger headrest by the door, and they were some weird 4x10 speakers or something, found that out when I took my dash covers off and there wasn't anything there. you may also have tweeters in the dash. I made the 4x6's fit where the extreme oval speakers were supposed to go so its not the end of the world. Plus the 4x6's you have are better since you have the cone and tweeter seperate oval speakers tend to sound worse than round ones. these are the weird 4x10's they really don't sound all that great...

Car Selector

Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 PM

ok cool, i know i deff have speakers in the dash cause when i fade it to the front i can hear music still, and i have none by the headrests
i really dont know if i can fit that alpine sub in there without moving the seat up too far

Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
BF Veteran

you may just want to get your own sub, shallow alpine, and a truck box. get this with a shallow truck box, then find an ebay amp that will do 300 watts rms, everything will probably cost you around $400 its a little more than what you wanted to pay, but you do want to do it right

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SWS1023/Alpine-SWS-1023D.html?tp=111&nvpair=FFBrand|Alpine

Old 03-23-2011, 04:24 PM

he said if i have about 8 inchs at the bottom and 4-5 at the top it should fit
so i measured and where my seat is at now, i have about 9-10 inchs at the bottom and just at 5 about 13 inchs up. so i guess it should fit, plus it comes with a rockford fosgate 800w amp and idk how many rms that is

Quick Reply: car audio noob