Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Computer Module?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough
Default Computer Module?

So my girlfriend bought me a pioneer Deck and 4 door speakers.

just out of curiosity i called car toys to see how much they would charge for install
because i had some problems last time i did it, for some odd reason seeing as iv installed everything on my own in the past.

Anyways after telling me they would charge me around 300 bucks.

He tells me i might need some part for the computer module because of the year model of my truck..

Any idea what hes talking about???

Thanks!!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 PM
zr2dan is on a distinguished road
Default unless your blazer has the bose factory system

all it should take is a factory harness plug you can get at walmart for the stereo and a dash mounting kit it should cost around 35 bucks or so for both and a few spade conectors for the speakers should be a piece of cake if you have the bose system those speakers would be componet style and there would be some problems with the speakers i have installed infinity dash and door speakers in my 2002 zr2 and a kenwood deck didnt use any module

Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 AM

I dont think i have anything boss in my truck, its pretty run of the mill factory stuff.

i also have the harness and the dash kit already.

He just confused me with all this talk about some computer module that i never heard of.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:35 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I feel the guy at Car Toys doesn't know much of what he's talking about in this case. Some/most newer vehicles have the stereo integrated into the vehicle chime/warning system. If there's no radio, there's no chimes/warnings, and some even get tighter than that and won't even start. My little brother has an '08 Pontiac Grand Prix and had to get the module the guy speaks of to keep his chimes and warnings but it would still start. You haven't mentioned what year your truck is (looks like a 98/99) but I highly doubt it has it, my '01 Jimmy didn't.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
I feel the guy at Car Toys doesn't know much of what he's talking about in this case. Some/most newer vehicles have the stereo integrated into the vehicle chime/warning system. If there's no radio, there's no chimes/warnings, and some even get tighter than that and won't even start. My little brother has an '08 Pontiac Grand Prix and had to get the module the guy speaks of to keep his chimes and warnings but it would still start. You haven't mentioned what year your truck is (looks like a 98/99) but I highly doubt it has it, my '01 Jimmy didn't.
o sorry i thought it was still in my sig.

its a 04

Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Does the driver door chime come out of the driver door/dash speaker or from under/behind the dash?

If it comes from under/behind the dash, there's nothing special needed. If it comes from the driver side door/dash speaker then it does have the integrated junk. If so, then it's your choice if you want to hear the chimes or not.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
Does the driver door chime come out of the driver door/dash speaker or from under/behind the dash?

If it comes from under/behind the dash, there's nothing special needed. If it comes from the driver side door/dash speaker then it does have the integrated junk. If so, then it's your choice if you want to hear the chimes or not.
Nope no chimes at all from either place.

I wouldnt care if they worked either.

hehe

Last edited by Brian_D; 01-07-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:08 AM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

GM in 2000 decided to change their door chime and put it in the stock deck itself rather than a standalone like prior years. IF you have a 00+ gm you need a more expensive harness but this can be worked around as well if u don't need/want the door chime with a tracker harness. if ur pre 00 then the $15 GM harness works perfectly fine and the guy @ Car Toy's is just trying to roll u for more money.

btw $300 for a literally 15min job is an outrageous price and this guy is likely trying to send you packing elsewhere. wiring the harness yourself is as easy as matching colours and stripes on the wires to each other and connecting them in your preffered method - just DON'T twist n tape n forget it, if u got a decent deck and ur not planning to move it in the near future take the extra time to solder the wires together with shrink wrap to make it about as perm as u can with wires for the clean crisp sound.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by UberFail
GM in 2000 decided to change their door chime and put it in the stock deck itself rather than a standalone like prior years. IF you have a 00+ gm you need a more expensive harness but this can be worked around as well if u don't need/want the door chime with a tracker harness. if ur pre 00 then the $15 GM harness works perfectly fine and the guy @ Car Toy's is just trying to roll u for more money.

btw $300 for a literally 15min job is an outrageous price and this guy is likely trying to send you packing elsewhere. wiring the harness yourself is as easy as matching colours and stripes on the wires to each other and connecting them in your preffered method - just DON'T twist n tape n forget it, if u got a decent deck and ur not planning to move it in the near future take the extra time to solder the wires together with shrink wrap to make it about as perm as u can with wires for the clean crisp sound.
thanks man!

Im going to install this weekend most likely!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

good luck on the install

Quick Reply: Computer Module?