Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Concerned about speaker depth

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Screamin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Concerned about speaker depth

Greetings all.

New ride (to me, at least); '04 Blazer 2-door. I'm getting excited about the opportunity to upgrade the stereo, but a search here has revealed that I've got serious speaker depth concerns! I gather I'm looking at the following:

Rear: 6x9
Front door: 6.75
Dash: 4x6

My major concern is how much depth I've got to get these in. Specifically the front door (concerned about how far down the power window travels) and the dash (I want to put in 4x6 plates w/ tweeters - am I going to end up using the stock plates and dropping in an aftermarket tweeter, or can I go with the 4x6 plates I'm looking at)?

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2007, 04:39 PM
c_seberg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Concerned about speaker depth

the dash is easy to get to, 2 scerw holding the trim on and you don't have to take the whole dash apart. i put 6.5 in fosgates in the door using the factory adapter. I have a 97 though. not sure if this helps or not.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:45 PM

Thanks seberg! Good info. I'd seen the screws on the dash and was hoping the grilles weren't pressure-mounted. Did you replace the dash speakers? If so, how deep is the hold for installation (want to avoid my plasma torch if I can)?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:56 PM
c_seberg is an unknown quantity at this point

my blazer didn't come with speakers in the dash, Just a coupleof loose wires. It looks pretty easy to install. I didn't do any measuring. I bought a 4 way cd player and i have the front door and rear door speakers going. I don't want to go through the trouble wiring an amp. just for another set of speakers. Did you look to see if there are factory speakers there? I think it came with the premium sound system, not sure though. Good luck!

Old 04-13-2007, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: c_seberg
I don't want to go through the trouble wiring an amp. just for another set of speakers. Did you look to see if there are factory speakers there? I think it came with the premium sound system, not sure though. Good luck!
Good point, I'll have to open it up and see, but my ears say the imaging (NOT the sound, just the imaging) is good, so I'm pretty sure there's speakers in there. Simply because I'm not using external amplification, it will probably make sense to go with just tweets in dash and mid-bass drivers in the doors. Brilliant [8D]

Old 04-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

For the dash I just modified the factory 4x6 plate to accept 1in tweeter. In the doors I put in speakers that from very top of the speaker to the bottom of the magnet was about 3in to 3 1/4 in and I used the factory mounting behind the door panel and I had no clearance problems, and for the rear I found there was lots of room. I have an 05 2dr

Old 04-13-2007, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Dabber
For the dash I just modified the factory 4x6 plate to accept 1in tweeter. In the doors I put in speakers that from very top of the speaker to the bottom of the magnet was about 3in to 3 1/4 in and I used the factory mounting behind the door panel and I had no clearance problems, and for the rear I found there was lots of room. I have an 05 2dr
Thanks Dabber, that's the rest of what I was hoping to hear! How much did you have to modify the plate? It seems (from reading 'round here) that you just pull out the old tweeter and drop in the new one.

Did you put a full-range or a midbass in the door?

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

plenty of room in the doors for speakers. I had an issue because i put 6.8's in the front doors. I took an abs sheet and cut it to size for the dash and put a vifa sweeter in it. and the vifa was about 3 inches deep.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:03 PM

Thanks hillbilly! One last ? Most in here seem to advocate tweeter in dash with midbass in door. What do you think about that approach?

Old 04-13-2007, 07:14 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I wanted to put my 3 way 4x6 in the dash... but the hole isn't deep enough for the magnet, lol, I could do it easilly if I didn't want speaker grills, but....

Quick Reply: Concerned about speaker depth