Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Constant wire is not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Beginning Member
blazinup101 is on a distinguished road
Default Constant wire is not working

I have a 96 blazer and im installing an aftermarket radio and when i wired it and tested it out it wouldnt turn on. the power wire works good but the constant wire isnt. I know the constant wire is orange (correct me if im wrong). OR shuld i just run a wire from the batt. and if i did that how would i?

Old 02-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would go back and check the fuse panel in the door jam one the drivers side to see if there are any blown fuses. you are correct with the constant is the orange. but its most probably a fuse that is blown.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Don't know what year your truck is but my (1994) W/D says that the Orange wire constant with a 10 amp in-line fuse in it. This keeps the clock and presets, etc. working when the key is off. The yellow wire is what supplies power to the unit when the key is in RUN or ACC. You have others for dimming the display (Brown - when you turn on the parking or headlights) and backlight dimming (Gray - when you turn down the panel lights at nights). Hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Beginning Member

thanks that helped with the diming problem i had :P
so theres a inline fuse? cause i think that might be the problem i checked all the fuses and they are all good.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM

Still don't know what year you truck is but yes, the 94 factory W/D says there is a 10 amp in-line fuse on the Irange wire to the radio. It's pretty detailed. The wire comes off a splice behind the instrument panel on the left side (of center) near the instrument cluster. I'd find the wire and just follw it back. Kind of a pain. Can't believe GM would put an in-line in a production vehicle but there it is.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Right in the first post GB!
Originally Posted by blazinup101
I have a 96 blazer
To the OP, have you tested for +12V on the orange wire? Sounds like you have, but I just want to make sure. Also check the ground for good continuity.

Here is a schematic showing the power side of the radio:

Attached Thumbnails Constant wire is not working-96_radio_pwr_gnd.gif  
Old 02-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Beginning Member

ill have to check the inline fuse then

Old 02-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the wiring schematic I posted above which is for your truck, there is no inline fuse.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Beginning Member

then what happend to the wire?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:45 PM

swartlkk
Finally got my head out. Sometimes you just don;t see stuff that's right in front of you.
blazinup101
He's right. I guess on the Gen 2 Blazers they did away with the in-line. I was quoting from a 94 W/D (last of the Gen 1). Comparing my W/D to this one there are a few differences in the power circuit. Not big ones but enough to screw you up. Didn't mean to steer you wrong.

Quick Reply: Constant wire is not working