Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Custom Sub Box

Old 03-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Beginning Member
bradly2795 is on a distinguished road
Default Custom Sub Box

Ok so while I'm waiting for a little more money to continue with the audio upgrade in my blazer a friend has been looking to add a sub in his 98 Blazer. He wants to use a Alpine Type R 12". He already has a Rockford Fosgate Prime 500-1 amp. We tried finding a box for the sub, but he wants it tailored to fit behind the back seats from side to side. We found this enclosure calculator and put in the dimensions we gathered and I just wanted to run the box design by you guys and see if this will work. The box has a volume of 2.85^ft tuned to around 32.5. Below is the full design. He wants more bass than SQ and we figured after reading several other forums that this would be a good median between both. Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:37 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Single Sub? Thats a big box for a single sub. Although I have seen bigger, it will give him illusion of more bass. I'm not a box designer of any sort but that does seem a little large for a single sub.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

^^ I agree but if you don't use the trunk space and you want a real bassy sound it'll work. sub box calculators aren't ever wrong

Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, it is actually about twice the size of the recommended ported box that Alpine specifies. However after reading around the subs seem to like larger ported boxes (some people have these in 4^ft boxes!?). I was just hoping maybe someone on here had some experience. I do know that as size increase then efficiency increases, so without being to large and causing the sub to exert itself to much and damage it that the box mentioned would provide an adequate gain.

Again, again ideas or tweaks we could do are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

That really isnt to big for a single sub. Thats probably just right. People often think that a system is just subs and amps and the bigger watts is how to hit harder. But many often overlook the importance of a good enclosure. More air space=bigger bass.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:00 PM
BF Veteran

I used to know a couple of people that just build ported boxes as big as they could possibly fit in the backs of their cars with 1 woofer. they had the 15'' really nice JL audio woofers but its the same principle with yours. like I said before if you don't use the trunk space make it as big as the trunk space. or you could take some measurements and make it be as long as the trunk space and maybe as tall as the seats and take up half of the trunk. that way it would look pretty clean and you would still have some trunk space. most of the time you don't have to worry about killing your woofer even if it is in a very small sealed box unless you are pounding it everyday. imo I like the more "clean stock look" of things but its all personal preference

Old 03-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Beginning Member

That's what we've tried to do with this. The measurement from the left side of the cargo area to the wheel hump on the other side is where the 37 measurement came from then we did 14 to be about as high as the molding is on the driver side. We're hoping that building the main box and but some surround pieces to go around the curves will help make it look as factory as possible once it is carpeted. He doesn't want it to take up all the cargo area though as he does use it occasionally.

Also in regards to the really nice JL subs, those would be amazing to have however I'm almost positive dropping in the ballpark of $500-$1000 on a sub isn't what he's looking for lol.

Last edited by bradly2795; 03-31-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:20 PM
BF Veteran

sounds like a good idea to me

Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

Yea you dont want the biggest box possible. There is a guy i know that has a 90's dodge caravan with 2 18's and from the drivers seat back to within2 ft of the back gate is a ported sub box. But it looks like it came from the factory like that. The head unit is actually in the back cause you cant listen to it and drive lol.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 PM
BF Veteran

my ears hurt just thinking about that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Sub Box