Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Dash Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:28 PM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dash Upgrades

I've got some things that I wish to do to my dash. I have the stuff, I've just run into a a few snags and am looking for a little bit of advice. I have a 98 Blazer, the first problem that I ran into is how to get the wire harnesses off the controls from the dash panel (i.e the 4x4 control, light control, etc.). I've tried and have actually knocked one of the panels. The second is to get the clear plastic off of the cluster. I am planning on putting new faces on the gauges and changing the light bulbs to red (I have both already). Thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:36 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Dash Upgrades

First: I used a small-medium sized flat blade screwdriver and wedged it in there to pop it out, everything is just plastic tangs. Just be super careful not to snap them off, I snapped a few off but it is not a big deal, there are plenty of others that will hold it together.

Second: Well you don't need to take the clear plastic off to replace the bulbs, just use 194 bulbs in the back of the entire cluster assembly. To put say white face guages on you don't need to remove the clear plastic either. If you remove the entire housing from the truck, you can pop off the clips that hold the entire clear plastic and the 3-D trim aroun the guages and be left with the guages and needles still on the rear portion of the cluster housing.
[align=center]
[/align]Otherwise I figured you could take it off and just use some superglue/some type of adhesive to put it back on, I have not personally taken the clear plastic off but I know davtak and some others have so hopefully they will post.

I will be posting up a how-to on how to replace all the cluster and control panels lights with LED's Should be up in a week or 2 as I am waiting on some parts to arrive, I am done with all the dash though. See Changing Dash/Control Lights with Blue LEDs I will post some pics on that thread tonight.

-Lenny

Old 07-25-2007, 06:10 AM

Thanks for the help. I didn't realize that the clear plastic came off with the rest of that stuff, that made everything a LOT easier. The light bulbs were kind of a pain imo. But I have to tear the dash apart again because one my new bulbs went on me during installation and the store was already closed.[sm=smiley36.gif] But yeah, thanks again for the help, greatly appreciated.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 AM

Your welcome. I actually have been driving around with out the dash trim panel and all the switches just hanging from the wires/shoved into there respective hole for about a week now so that I dont have to tear back into it since I am waiting on a couple bulbs to arrive. Well good luck and I am sure we would like to see some pics once the install is all done.

-Lenny

Old 07-25-2007, 03:18 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

If you used LED's in your dash, try flipping it around in the socket... a lot of LED's are polarity sensitive...

And I've got no realy problem sealing up the dash after I'm done... It's not like it takes a whole bunch to get it loose again! lol

Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 AM

Actually I just used conventional bulbs in the dash for now, it's what was available at the store without paying big bucks. I was going to order some LED's off ebay, but with my hectic schedule before heading back up to school this was the only time I could do this, so it was pretty much a now or wait till xmas break to do it. I'll be putting in LED's eventually though.

I will definitely post some pics up when it is done, should be later today if I can get my phone to take some decent pictures (seem to have misplaced my camera).

Old 07-26-2007, 02:49 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

If you found colored bulbs, and you like them, stick with them!

They've got a much better light spread than LED's do.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:37 PM

The thing is is that I love the color the bulbs give off a good color, but they aren't quite bright enough, so I will probably end up changing those out.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:24 PM

Yeah I just got my blue colored #37 bulbs for the heater controls and they are definately not bright enough, I am going to end up putting LED's in there too. I think I'll just custom mount some instead of trying LED bulbs. I have to say Blue LEDs behind the cluster looks amazing, I'll put a pic up once everything is back together.

-Lenny

Old 07-27-2007, 04:40 AM
BF Veteran

Well, blue #37 LED's are bright enough... They just don't have enough of a spread for the light, lol

Quick Reply: Dash Upgrades