Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

DIY - Custom Sub/Amp box

Old 10-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Beginning Member
Blazer Spike is on a distinguished road
Default DIY - Custom Sub/Amp box

So I was tired of the normal size sub box taking up my back on my blazer, so I desided to make my own custom box so I could get the room back.

Stuff needed for this:
-Sheet of 3/4" MDF board
-Drill
-Drill bit
-1.5" long wood screws (your choice)
-Wood glue
-Silicone
-Fabric (your choice)
-Wood clamps (big size)
-Saw
-Speaker wire
-Staple gun and staples

Here's a step by step on what I did to make it.

1 - Made cardboard cutouts of each piece I needed to make.
2 - Transfer cardboard cutouts to MDF and cut with saw
3 - Glue 1 piece to another 1 at a time and let the glue dry for 30 minutes, and drill pilot holes for the screws (because the MDF will split if you don't) and screw in the screw. Keep doing this untill the box is all made. It takes a bit of time.
4 - Drill hole for speaker wire, and silicon the hole up and let silicon dry
5 - Silicon the inside of the box where all the MDF is joining. This makes sure that it's air tight.
6 - Wrap box with the fabric you choose. Staple fabric under side of the box (and to the backside if yours not going to see it)
7 - Install sub or subs and amp to box.

Cardboard cutouts:

Box all put together with amp and sub installed:

All wrapped and installed in my blazer:

Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 AM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

I like it... I'm not a big fan of
I wouldn't mind having one 10' or 12" like you have though, just to give it a little umph.. How does it sound inside the truck?

Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

very nice, looks like it fits great. nice write up to.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

decent build. Did you glue the fabric down at all? looks like its sagging a little bit in some spots. I can also see the screw locations in some spots. Im guessing you didnt use wood filler and sand it flat before fabric application? Quality build of the enclosure itself though. Nice job!

Now the real question.... how is the enclosure SECURED to the vehicle?

Old 10-23-2011, 12:35 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Looks great! question, how much room is on the back of the subbox? If I wanted to.. say, make it smaller so it doesn't limit cargo space?

Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

That is exactly what I'm looking at doing to mine soon, except I'm doing a sub on each side.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer Spike is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by FsTFwRd
I like it... I'm not a big fan of
I wouldn't mind having one 10' or 12" like you have though, just to give it a little umph.. How does it sound inside the truck?
It sounds ok, a little less bass then what was before, but I don't mind because I have the trunk back,lol.

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
very nice, looks like it fits great. nice write up to.
Thanks

Originally Posted by bobditts
decent build. Did you glue the fabric down at all? looks like its sagging a little bit in some spots. I can also see the screw locations in some spots. Im guessing you didnt use wood filler and sand it flat before fabric application? Quality build of the enclosure itself though. Nice job!

Now the real question.... how is the enclosure SECURED to the vehicle?
no I never glued it down as I did not have any glue for that. I just stretch it tight. Plus the sud holds the fabric down. It's stapled all down inside the box. You see a few screw marks as the screws did not go flush, but I'm not to worried about it. Plus this is no show vehicle I drive this on and off road, I just wanted something better looking and to have my trunk back.

I have brackets mounting the box to vehicle, and you can see 1 L bracket in the last picture.

Originally Posted by CraigSnedeker
Looks great! question, how much room is on the back of the subbox? If I wanted to.. say, make it smaller so it doesn't limit cargo space?
The box sits right against the side panel. The front where the amp is sits right against the wheel tub. If you where to make it any smaller you will not really get any bass from it, as it's already to small for my sub. I really need it about 2" deeper to get more bass back, but I like having the room again,

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
That is exactly what I'm looking at doing to mine soon, except I'm doing a sub on each side.
Nice. I did not want 2 as I use the area where the jack is.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:39 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

I will use the area for the jack too if I ever have a flat, but the panel that goes over the jack is busted on my truck, so this is a good excuse to put a sub there and cover it up, haha. Perhaps I can put a hinge or something on it so it's easy to get to if/when I need it.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Starting Member
mattjphoto is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
I will use the area for the jack too if I ever have a flat, but the panel that goes over the jack is busted on my truck, so this is a good excuse to put a sub there and cover it up, haha. Perhaps I can put a hinge or something on it so it's easy to get to if/when I need it.
I did the math and designed a box but opted to just buy one. I think the box I have now is massive and takes up to much room so one day I will build a custom box like above. As far as the jack side my wife will not let me block it. I have my amp blocking part of it but the top still comes off.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 PM
gatorboy44 is on a distinguished road

Litterally looks just like an fj cruiser from the back now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - Custom Sub/Amp box