Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Door Speaker Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Redlegger is on a distinguished road
Default Door Speaker Installation

I am helping my 16 year old son with a 2001 Chevy Blazer Ls 2WD. I helped him take off the passenger door panel(Speaker appears shot - buzzes with Bass). I can't figure out how to disconnect the window wiring harness. There are two connections. I got the smaller one underneath un-connected but am having trouble with the main wiring connection.

How does the actual speaker come out ? I noticed very small screws with torque or hex, but since the panel is still attached I can't get a good look. I don't have to pop out the rivets do I ? We also have to remove the driver's side rear door panel as that speaker appears dead (no sound). Seems like a common problem with these vehicles.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 PM
PVT Pablo is an unknown quantity at this point

You shouldn't have any problem with the electrical connections, they usually are just a small tang that holds itself on over a post. I didn't even disconnect those on my blazer when I removed my speakers, I just pushed the piece that holds all the buttons up and out and slid the door panel out around it. That was on my 97 though. I assume that an 01 can't be much different.

As far as the speaker, no, you don't have to bother with the rivets, there is however, 4 very small torx screws (very small) that hold the speaker in place. Remove those, and you'll be good to go.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Starting Member
blazen99 is on a distinguished road

good to know mine are shot too.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:54 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

As stated above, just push the entire switch assembly up and away from the door panel. Don'T bother disconnecting the wires. I believe the torx bit is a size T10.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Redlegger is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I didn't realize I could pop the entire window switch group out of the panel without unhooking the wires. For those interested Best Buy has a set of Kenwoods on sale which sound pretty good for a basic stock Stereo system. $56 a pr. plus $12 for a wiring harness if you don't want to solder.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Starting Member
blazen99 is on a distinguished road

is there any place to up the speaker size in the doors. i dont even know what fits in there now? are they 6x9 or something? would u be able to fit 10s in the front doors?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

not without a great deal of cutting

Old 05-12-2009, 02:59 PM
PVT Pablo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blazen99
is there any place to up the speaker size in the doors. i dont even know what fits in there now? are they 6x9 or something? would u be able to fit 10s in the front doors?
Ok, you want to put 10 inch speakers in a door? Ok, first off, the stock speaker is a 6 1/2''. The door interior panel is shaped to fit that size speaker. If you wanted to put a 10 inch speaker in a door, you wouldn't have a door panel to put over it. Secondly, there isn't enough air space inside that door for a 10'' speaker to use so it would sound like crap.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

i know guys who have put dual 10"s in their doors in blazers for midbass.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:39 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

sure, itll just stick out...

Quick Reply: Door Speaker Installation