Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Double DIN in First Gen S

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Beginning Member
loomdog32 is on a distinguished road
Default Double DIN in First Gen S

Im not quite ready to get the HU installed yet, but thought I would start this thread now. Ill be looking to install JVC KW-NX7000 (w Bluetooth, HD, Sirius 2 Piece) in my 89 Blazer.. I know there is no where near dash space needed for all those units, but should be enough room for the 2DIN (remove the ashtray and use that space to vertical height)..

NOTE - This is not my vehicle. I did a google search for 89 Blazer and found this and photoshoped my HU into it. This is how I see that HU fitting into that dash.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Deezy Steez is on a distinguished road

its a cool idea, im going to be squishin in a double din alpine into my 1.5 din dash on a 98. its not as extreme as yours, will just have to trim the bezel a bit.
Im not sure about your first gen but from the picture it looks like the only thing besides the deck in the center console is the vents above.. have you considered taking the entire bezel out and cutting a clean peice of plastic to fit your deck perfectly? it might be relatively easy with a square opening shown above.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Beginning Member

I could go up into the vents, but the AC works (one of the few things that does)..

In the first gen, the vents are directly above and the ashtray is directly below. I was planning on using space from the ashtray, then making a custom benzel to replace the piece of trim from the ashtray.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:08 AM

i guess i cant really see the ashtray from the picture provided.. it might be a great idea to go into the ashtray! i know i have an ipod mounted in mine lol! and definately keep the a/c, but you can always make your own set of vents and have them just a little lower profile to accommodate for the deck

Old 11-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Beginning Member

This should help better.. This is my vehicle. No ashtray. You can see where the ashtray trim is missing...

Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 PM

ahh i never noticed how little of a bezel you actually have on the first gens! im not exactly sure what your going for if your just trying to keep the stock bezel.. it looks pretty clean as is. just 1st gennny?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:17 AM
Basshead4lyfe is on a distinguished road

Heres what I did with my old 1st gen blaze using mdf, fiberglass, and vinyl!

Attached Thumbnails Double DIN in First Gen S-double-din-indash.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Beginning Member

That looks nice.. Do you have any clearance issues as far as depth?? I guess that you also pulled the vents behind the dash??

fyi, most replacement benzels stick out like 1" for depth clearance for an aftermarket deck

Im keeping the ac, so something like that isnt an option for me.. Thats why I was originally looking at going down into the ashtray..

Old 12-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Basshead4lyfe is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by loomdog32
That looks nice.. Do you have any clearance issues as far as depth?? I guess that you also pulled the vents behind the dash??

fyi, most replacement benzels stick out like 1" for depth clearance for an aftermarket deck

Im keeping the ac, so something like that isnt an option for me.. Thats why I was originally looking at going down into the ashtray..
As far clearance went it was a battle to fit in but it went without having to much. The ac vents were actually rerouted underneath the dash in the pocket under the ashtray.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Beginning Member

I would really like to see how you got that routed.. It is interesting

Quick Reply: Double DIN in First Gen S