Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

DRL Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Myerswelder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DRL Help

I have a 99 ZR2 Blazer and i want to turn the DRL off so i dont burn my silverstar bulbs out, i bent the # 86 pin like everyone says and the things still come on[sm=dontgetit.gif]. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 AM
mccague36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: DRL Help

try pushing in the e-brake just enough for the car to recognise that its on, but no enought to actually apply the brake to the wheels. then start the car and then you should be able to control the lights manually. that works for my 98' 4dr, i dont know if its the same for you. good luck with that.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:34 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

hey, nice idea, i may try that.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:21 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ZR2's are different, they use low beams as DRL's.

Under the dash is where you need to look...

Behind the brake pedal, I think. Gotta cut the middle yellow wire... Or something.

blazin, if you want to get rid of DRL's, use the pin 86 bending method...

I can't remember the ohm rating for the resistor on my AHL mod anymore, though... I know it's somewhere on the site, though

Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 PM

How did you turn the AHL off thats a pain too

Old 05-04-2008, 08:42 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

How to disable running lights in a 2000 Blazer

Disabling the AHL's is fairly easy. Since yours in a 99 you *should* need a 1.6-2.2K Ohm resistor (radioshack or similar electronics store)

On the right front speaker grill on the dash, there's a light sensor. Unscrew the grill and disconnect the sensor. Bend the two prongs on the resistor and plug them into the harness coming out of the dash. The system registers it as "daylight" so the lights stay off when its dark. You should now have full control of when your lights are on.

On my truck (98) 1.6K Ohm was too high and caused the system to register it as "night" so my lights were ALWAYS on, regardless of the switch. 1.2K Ohm works for me though, so you may need to test out a few different ones. GM seemed to have made a few difference between 98 and 99 so I can't say for sure which resistor you need.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:57 PM

ok thanks ill try it tomorrow

Old 05-04-2008, 09:41 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

ahh, thanks doc

Old 05-05-2008, 01:15 PM

I tried the e-brake thing today and it works im going to use that until i fgure out a different way... thanks to everybody it helped greatly

Old 05-05-2008, 04:18 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I think I used 2.2k for my '05.

Quick Reply: DRL Help