Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Dual sub boxes

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:45 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual sub boxes

If I make my own, it would probably break in pieces or something and I don't want the subs getting damaged. I don't wanna do something wrong and have something go wrong, so I'd rather buy the box.
Option 1
Option 2. I've always liked that look more.
Option 3

Old 01-04-2008, 01:08 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Dual sub boxes

i think everyone on here will steer you away from a prefabricated box. if you build one yourself, i highly doubt it will break. there are a few professional audio installers on here who could probably help you design a box and give measurements. if you can pull a trigger on a saw and can squeeze a bottle of glue and hammer a nail, you can build a box. im making my own out of 5/8" particle board. i know 3/4" MDF is the ideal choice but my local lowes carries this particle board for hella cheap. ive had several setbacks which has delayed my build but that is due to my faulty equipment and decades old saws.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:41 AM

I probably could build my own, I just make stupid mistakes. Home Depot might carry good materials, my nearest Lowes is pretty far away.
I have a powerful Dewalt electric reciprocating saw that my dad bought but I think never used in his life. Do you also use caulking on the edges? I've seen a few boxes that looked like they had caulking on them.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

ORIGINAL: otnietdehoooo

i think everyone on here will steer you away from a prefabricated box. if you build one yourself, i highly doubt it will break. there are a few professional audio installers on here who could probably help you design a box and give measurements. if you can pull a trigger on a saw and can squeeze a bottle of glue and hammer a nail, you can build a box. im making my own out of 5/8" particle board. i know 3/4" MDF is the ideal choice but my local lowes carries this particle board for hella cheap. ive had several setbacks which has delayed my build but that is due to my faulty equipment and decades old saws.
Particle board is a bad choice. It crumbles too easy and flexes as well.

Get yourself some MDF, (and take your measurements with you to HD or Lowes) as they will probably cut the wood for you if you are nice. THey arent the most accurate at it, but most you can sand down and fudge a lil.

You need the following supplies:

MDF
Good Grade Wood Glue
Drywall screws (length depends on the thickness of the MDF)
and some silicone to seal the inside of the box
Drill bit to pre-drill the mdf so it wont splinter or crack

The only other things you will need are a drill and some way of cutting the circle for the sub.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the list. I've got just about all that, except for the wood. I know some boxes used 3/4 MDF, is that good enough?
I have a few measurements from boxes I was looking but are there sites with measurements to each piece of wood?
I'll find a way to drill the circles, my dad might be able to.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

try this out.

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp

Old 01-04-2008, 09:59 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: dimmuborgir6nik6

Thanks for the list. I've got just about all that, except for the wood. I know some boxes used 3/4 MDF, is that good enough?
I have a few measurements from boxes I was looking but are there sites with measurements to each piece of wood?
I'll find a way to drill the circles, my dad might be able to.
If you need to find the volume of a box you're building look here... good luck http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/box_wizard.asp

Old 01-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Starting Member
Sorell is an unknown quantity at this point

Ontop of the particle board flexing and weak overall strength, MDF is incredibly easy to make anything out of. It has no grain and is packed together far tighter than the bits of scrap wood used for particle board. No matter which way you want to cut MDF, you can whereas most other will split easily. Sanding is also wayyy better using MDF as it will sand down very quickly and almost completely smooth to the touch with minimal sanding. Just make sure to pre-drill your holes as hillbilly hassaid.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 PM

The box I was looking at used the demensions of 13" High x 16" Deep x 36" Wide, which are perfect for the trunk. I just wanna use the same style as this ported box.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:26 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

i highly recommend you try building ur own box to fit the specs of the subs you have. My buddy put 2 12" pioneers in his girls car in a prefab ported box doing a little under their rated RMS and the subs burnt up. Just a thought to give ya

Quick Reply: Dual sub boxes