Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Dynamat/FatMat vs. tire noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:54 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about
Default Dynamat/FatMat vs. tire noise?

My tires just started to get really loud after 10k miles so i have been looking into some sound deadening/blocking material. Now after some research i know there is a big difference in blocking and deadening. Just about everything i have read is about people wanting to quiet down the trunk of their ricers, which is just solved by the added weight of the material.

Some people covered their entire floor (which is what i want to do) with dynamat or fatmat and say it works great for road noise then some people claim it wont do anything and that you need some sort of closed cell foam instead. Then with that there are people saying you need 6" of closed cell foam for it to do anything. I understand the physics behind the foam but dont know what to believe about the fatmat or dynamat because i havent read anything about tire noise.

My tires just howl really loud from about 30-45mph and i would like to quiet that down a little, i understand that i wont get all the noise gone no matter what i do, but i just need a little insight on whats best. and keeping the cost at around 200$ would be nice as well.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

Those products are great, but, there are cheaper alternatives on the market that do just as well. I forget the name of it, but, Home Depot and Lowe's has something similar for a lot cheaper. A buddy of mine used it in his Saturn Ion to stop vibrations in his trunk, seems to work great. He's on his way over, when he gets here, I'll ask him what it's called and let ya know. I wanna say it's like peel and stick something.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:07 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by whyteb0y
Those products are great, but, there are cheaper alternatives on the market that do just as well. I forget the name of it, but, Home Depot and Lowe's has something similar for a lot cheaper. A buddy of mine used it in his Saturn Ion to stop vibrations in his trunk, seems to work great. He's on his way over, when he gets here, I'll ask him what it's called and let ya know. I wanna say it's like peel and stick something.
I know what you are referring too. (i think?) its got tar on the bottom of it. I do remember reading that it has a strong odor. I was searching for a cheap alternative for sound deadening for a audio setup.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Peal n seal is NOT a sound deadener. Psychoacoustics make it seem like its working, but it REALLY makes little to no difference when compared to a real constrained layer dampener such as dynamat, or damplifier.

Constrained layer dampeners, or CLD tiles are only for reducing panel resonance. They're not effective at blocking noise. Closed cell foam or CCF is also not a noise blocker by itself. It is used to stop physical vibrational noises such as an interior panel slapping against the sheet metal. Mass loaded vinyl or MLV is the product you need to use to actually block noise. Using the three together yields results that would simply blow your mind.

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com sells these products, but the information available there is priceless and the owner is single handedly the most knowledgeable person on the products there is. Also one of the few who will actually save you money by not selling you anything you don't need.

No matter what brand you decide to use DO NOT waste your money on peal n seal or anything else that's not a real sound deadener. Also, to do it right its going to take more than $200, but that doesn't mean u have to get and install it all at once either. I bought the CLD tiles first and installed them. Then got and installed the CCF a few months later. Now I've almost saved enough to get the MLV for my Jimmy and will do that as soon as I can to complete my sound deadening job on the doors.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Beginning Member
Truk is on a distinguished road

It seems like half of the world is of the opinion that Peal N Seal is worthless and you must buy high dollar stuff, and the other half thinks Dynamat is the exact same stuff as Peal N Seal. The truth is somewhere in between.

Peal N Seal, Dynamat, Fatmat, or even a really thick coat of undercoat will all add weight to the sheetmetal and reduce vibration, which will reduce sound transfer through the panel. Undercoat is too messy and usually too thin to make much difference. Peal N Seal is thin and would require a few layers to equal 1 of Dynamat, and it stinks for a few weeks. Dynamat/Fatmat is more expensive, but you can be ok with just a layer or 2.

Any of these and you have helped 1 problem but may still want some additional foam or juke padding under the carpet to actually absorb sound instead of just trying to block it's transfer through.

I'm not recommending anything in particular, other than doing a lot of research before making up your mind.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris015
I know what you are referring too. (i think?) its got tar on the bottom of it. I do remember reading that it has a strong odor. I was searching for a cheap alternative for sound deadening for a audio setup.
There is acutally something they sell for heating ducts, its the same stuff though, but not the stuff that has tar on the under side of it.
*edit*
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.ULBdX_XzPd5

Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info guys!

Alton, after i posted this thread i found that website and read a lot, finding out about the mass loaded vinyl. But is that something i should start with first? or should i start with the dampener first? (like dynamat) Edit: just read to start with CDL tiles

Ive heard a lot of bad things about the peal and seal, like the smell. All it does is add weight to a panel to take out some of the vibrations, like putting your hand on a ringing bell.

But i definitely have more to go read on that site!

Also, how hard is it to re install all the carpet and trim with more than one layer on?

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 11-24-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member
1Hoss is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with the comments about the sounddeadnershowdown. Just about everything on that site makes sense based on my personal experiences. I would suggest that you look into second skin brand accessories though. I have had excellent results with them.

One thing I suspect you will learn is that the CDL tiles alone will perform much better than you suspect. A lot of the tire noise is actually vibration on the panels which is greatly stiffled by the CDL tiles.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1Hoss
I have to agree with the comments about the sounddeadnershowdown. Just about everything on that site makes sense based on my personal experiences. I would suggest that you look into second skin brand accessories though. I have had excellent results with them.

One thing I suspect you will learn is that the CDL tiles alone will perform much better than you suspect. A lot of the tire noise is actually vibration on the panels which is greatly stiffled by the CDL tiles.
Thats what im hoping for. So if the purpose is to simply add weight to the panel to reduce resonance would the 50 sq feet 80mil fatmat do just fine? its quite a bit cheaper and has decent reviews, but if theres a huge difference between fatmat and the stuff he is selling on the site then i will go with what he is selling. i will definitely get the vinyl from that site tho.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Fatmat, has been proven to be an asphalt based material like peal n seal. It only takes 25% coverage to get the needed results from CLD tiles. So if you have 12sqft of area to treat you only need 3sqft of CLD to treat it. Any more than that and the law of diminishing returns comes into play.

It takes some time to pull all that carpet up and install that stuff, but after doing it once its not to bad and yeah it does usually fit back down just fine. A little trimming of the CCF and MLV may need to be done near some things but its not a lot of trouble.

Quick Reply: Dynamat/FatMat vs. tire noise?