Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Electric Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Bojib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electric Door Locks

I couldn't make up my mind whether or not to put this in General Tech Help, or Audio/Visual Electronics. It's not really Audio/Visual type stuff, but it would be an electrical modification if it can be done.

What I am wondering about is if it is possible to put electric door locks on a vehicle that has regular manual locks. Then, if it is possible, could a person wire them up to work with a remotre keyless entry? What I'm thinking is all aftermarket type parts.

For Christmas, my sister bought me a real nice alarm system for my blazer. I haven't hooked it up yet, because I have questions like this. It has a remote keyless entry with it, so I imagine it would be possible to make this all work.

If there is a way for this to be done, where would I be able to find parts at? I guess all I would need is the electric door lock motors, and the hardware to make them work. Then do some figuring on my own from there on how to get the keyless entry to work with it.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Electric Door Locks

I don't know if you are familiar with the inside of a door or not, but for a job like that you better have some small hands and a long fuse. I should think that it would be doable, but I don't know because I have never seen inside of a manual locking door. The assembly inside my power door locks looks like it could be a manual one it you remove the motor. You would also need to instal a button somewhere, so that might not be too easy. Actually, LMC truck has some great catalogs and you could probably get the whole door button assembly. FREE CATALOG

Old 01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point

im sure you can just buy the parts from GM (or somewhere cheaper) for the exact same model/year of your s-series truck/suv. just make sure you know all the parts you need. and im sure you could get the wireing harness too, but it may end up being easier to do your own wireing job. i do think this would be quite a difficult task, though. good luck

Old 01-25-2006, 08:05 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Get some Lambo doors too!

Old 01-26-2006, 06:19 AM
catalin is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Bojib

I couldn't make up my mind whether or not to put this in General Tech Help, or Audio/Visual Electronics. It's not really Audio/Visual type stuff, but it would be an electrical modification if it can be done.

What I am wondering about is if it is possible to put electric door locks on a vehicle that has regular manual locks. Then, if it is possible, could a person wire them up to work with a remotre keyless entry? What I'm thinking is all aftermarket type parts.

For Christmas, my sister bought me a real nice alarm system for my blazer. I haven't hooked it up yet, because I have questions like this. It has a remote keyless entry with it, so I imagine it would be possible to make this all work.

If there is a way for this to be done, where would I be able to find parts at? I guess all I would need is the electric door lock motors, and the hardware to make them work. Then do some figuring on my own from there on how to get the keyless entry to work with it.
Yes of course you can do it. The actuators can be controlled by the alarm and you wouldn't really need any buttons at all.
If you search online or any local car audio shop you can easily find the right parts. Install is a little challenging especially if you haven't installed them before but it's really not that difficult.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:59 PM

So it can be done.

I was thinking about doing it with no inside buttons, I can't think of any good use for them since I'll have all the controls I would need on the keychain.

It appears as though the installation is going to be challenging, but at least it's not impossible, I'm always up for a challenge.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing to think about is security. I don't know much about this, or anything but you may want to look into it. On my blazer the doors unlock when you put it in park and when you put it in gear it locks the doors. You should figure out how to do that and that would make it a lot easier to lock and unlock.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:15 PM

It's a standard.... so that might be troublesome, lol.

I can see the need for an inside button for that type of situation now, be easier to lock when going through a spooky place after dark or something.

Old 01-27-2006, 01:29 AM
catalin is an unknown quantity at this point

The alarm will have a feature that will control the locks when ignition is turned on/off.